Territory Day

Territory Day
terətɔːrideɪ
noun

a public holiday celebrating the NT achieving self-government from the Commonwealth on 1st July 1978
a chance to celebrate the Territory’s unique lifestyle, surroundings and people

             --------------------------------------------

Having left Gotcha on the Friday night I was rather looking forward to a lie in. Naturally, this was impossible. Not only am I sharing an apartment with two noisy people, but my body clock is set to wake up around 7am. Everyday. Ah well, at least I didn't have to go to work!

I had my breakfast and tidied up a little bit before heading off for a little walk. I had put my bikini on and slathered on the suncream so I was ready for any impromptu sunbathing. It's wonderful to actually have nice weather again. The coldest it's been since I got to Darwin has been 26°C. And that's at night!

I walked to Mindil Beach and along the Coastal Path. The contrast between the bright turquoise sea, green palm trees and red sand was stunning. Being a Saturday, there were lots of boats out on the water too. When I reached the Sailing Club I stopped for a while and just watched them.

I also spent a lot of time and effort trying to work out a tour to take in the near future. I decided it was time to head straight down the middle and experience that Red Centre. I made a travel agent friend called Clinton and he is organising everything for me. Watch this space!

I got so carried away that, before I knew it, the sun was at its highest. Time for a rest. I sat on the rocks at Fannie Bay and watched a man wade into the water and start fishing. With the abundance of crocs, strong currents and dangerous rocks, you wouldn't catch me in there. Luckily, he emerged unscathed.

While I watched, I heard some of my first fireworks of the day. Two young locals were playing in the cove next to me and let off some of those cracker things. The ones you throw at the ground? NT is the only state that hasn't banned personal use of fireworks. However, they are only allowed this privilege on one day a year. Boy do they make the most of it.

I headed to a small retail area at East Point Reserve but failed to find a shop that sold any kind of headwear. I just wanted a simple hat. I could already feel the sun sizzling my head and I'd need something to protect me over the next week or so. I decided to head to the main shopping precinct in the CBD.

This meant walking back towards the city. To prevent me getting distracted again, I walked inland. This definitely seemed faster and I reached Mindil Beach in no time. Instead of turning off to the motel as usual, I carried on up to Smith Street. How apt.

With my purse much lighter, and my bag much heavier I left an hour or so later quite successful. I had purchased a cap, a new powerbank and treated myself to an icecream. Now was time to head home and pack so I could make it back to Mindil for the celebrations.

Slight issue, I didn't have a room key. With the other two at work, I had to face reception. First, she didn't acknowledge any knowledge of us staying in 106. She then found the paperwork.. With everyone's name on but mine. Obviously, as a late addition, they'd neglected to add my details. I eventually convinced her I did indeed stay there, and she reluctantly gave me a key.

I packed all my belongings in record time and opted for a cheeky dip in the pool. I didn't know the next time I would have the privilege of one at the accommodation. There was a family holding a mini gathering at the pool side, but I had the actual water to myself. It was refreshing and I made the most of it by doing a few laps.

Time for a quick shower. I hadn't expected the others to be home when I came out, so hadnt taken any clothes in with me. In fact, I'd packed them all away! Luckily, I didn't go for the naked run. Alex and Nez may have had a bit of a shock if I had. Clothed, I enjoyed a cuppa while I told them about my plans.

I had been going to cook before I left for Mindil, but decided I'd find something at their Sunset Market instead. And so, I walked down to the beach, looking like a proper tourist, complete with bumbag, backwards cap, Nikon, and sunglasses. I couldn't believe how busy it was! Some people were even driving in. The carpark was rammed, as were the overflows and any other place they could find to park.

I arrived just in time to grab a 'Spiral Spud', one of my favourite market foods. As I'd tried a few different flavours in Brissie, I opted for one I hadn't seen before; Nacho cheese. It was pretty good and definitely filled me up. After a quick meander through the stalls, I wanted to find myself a spot for sunset. The sky was already beginning to change colour as the sun lowered in the sky.

The tide was so far out, people were going nearly a mile to the waters edge. Walking onto the beach, I was given a NT flag. I stuck it in my pocket and let it flap around in the sea breeze. It seemed everyone had one, it reminded me of Australia Day. This celebration seemed far more important to the locals and everyone was in high spirits.

I made my way across the sand and took some beautiful photos of the sea and the sky. It was wonderful to see so many families enjoying the day together. Once I'd found my way back to the beach, I stopped to listen to the entertainment. A large stage had been erected on one end of the beach, slightly protruding into the sea. I bet the view from up there was stunning.

First I listened to Killing Heidi, who were apparently reforming after being big in the 90s. I thought they were pretty good. There was a fair bit of teen angst portrayed through the lyrics and head banging. The sun gradually set and the lights from the stage danced across Mindil, illuminating the locals, and tourists alike.

Next up was a solo act, Pete Murray. He played guitar and sang a few slower songs. He followed this with a few more up tempo and we were treated to an epic drum solo that seemed to go on forever. By this point I just wanted to see the fireworks and go home to sleep! Alas, he must have heard my silent plea and played his final song at 8.20, promising some awesome pyrotechnics in a matter of minutes.

He was right, there was a mini shuffle as everyone turned to face the beach. We completed the 10 second countdown and the highlight of the night began. I hadn't seen any fireworks for a few months now, and these ones did not disappoint! We had all the colours, kinds and shapes light up the sky and the sea below. It was amazing. The routine went on for a good 15 mins, to about 8 different songs. We even had heart shapes for U2.

When it was over I cheered louder than anyone else and started to make my way back up the beach. So did about 300 other people! It was a bit of a squeeze, to say the least. I followed some Aussies who tried to cut across the dunes. We quickly realised there was a fence that blocked our way to the markets, so had to walk up and around it to get out. Instant karma I guess.

I enjoyed a slow walk back, admiring the bravery of some people. They would light fireworks literally anywhere, stand back and just watch them go off! This was in the middle of the street, in the gardens, on balconies... apparently it's the busiest night for the hospital. Either way, I enjoyed it.

The celebration also marked a new adventure for me. I'd be heading on a tour, from Sunday, for two weeks, through Norhern Territory and finishing in South Australia. Let's just hope I get some sleep for an early start. Could be fun with Cracker Night in full swing!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stop 1: Bangkok

Loka: Stop 7: Magnetic Island

GKR World Cup 8

A Week in Exmouth