Groovy Grape: Rock 2 Water

I was up bright and early, ready to be picked up at 6.30am. I saw Belinda and Michael (from the Mulgas tour) at breakfast and we realised we were on the same tour. From the Haven hostel there was us, and a group of eight Australasians. I was welcomed by Con as he took my bag off of me and I found a seat near the back of the bus. We had two more quick pick ups, and soon we had everyone. There was thirteen of us in total; three Germans, one from Hong Kong, the eight Australasians, and me. I think this is the first tour where I've been the only Brit! I had to do my country proud and represent. There would be tea, and lots of it.

We all had our introductions, where we learned that nine of the group were studying at/just graduated from University of Queensland, in Brisbane. It was Con's first tour and he was both excited and nervous, we assured him he'd be fine. The worst part, in my opinion, would be all the driving. As an ex-truck driver, I'm sure that was actually the least of his worries.

Our first drive of the tour took us along the Stuart Highway. We had a few stop offs at roadhouses on the way for fuel and toilet breaks. We had been driving for what felt like forever, not seeing much. The arid area we were driving through was not what I expected, I always thought the outback, and Uluru in particular, was just desert. It was a lot greener here, with grasses and trees.

We took a random turn, and Con pulled up at the side of the road. This was where the adventure started.. we were to fetch some firewood. This was actually so much fun, trawling the landscape for good branches and logs. Between all of us we got too much, it wouldn't all fit on top of the trailer! It was turning into a beautiful day, the others said it was cold.. but I loved it. I even put the air con on when we got back on the bus, I could feel the sun beating through the window.

Off again, the last stretch to Yulara. From nowhere, there it was. Uluru. It was bright a bright orange red in the midday sun and quite a sight to see. It disappeared from sight just as quickly as it had appeared. Hiding behind the trees and the natural curves of the landscape. I was so excited to see it up close. I could now see it on the horizon, as we made our way slowly but surely towards the rock.

Con was such a tease, we turned off and made our way into camp instead. The small township of Yulara used to be closer to Uluru, in the national park, but out of respect has been moved further away. There were several hotels and accommodation options, we had our own campsite in the coach camp. It comprised of a fire pit, marquee kitchen and a tent for luggage. I was excited to be sleeping in swags, like sturdy canvas sleeping bags but with a mattress inside, for the first time.

We all clambered off the bus, happy to stretch our legs. Helping Con unload the trailer, we soon had the fridge full of food. Lunch was cheese toasties, I helped out by chopping the tomatoes. In all honesty I just really wanted to get back to Uluru and truly experience it. We cooked on the hot plate, it took a little longer than I wanted it to, but boy did it taste good. I had two helpings, one with cheese and tomato and the other with added ham.

Finally, after a quick clean up, it was back on the bus. We drove through to Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park and got our pass for the next few days. I was beyond excited as we drew closer and closer. My first thought was how lumpy and bumpy it was.. It always looks so smooth in photos. It was anything but, with dents and holes, crevices and curves.

As requested by the Anangu people, we were to visit the Cultural Centre first. This was made of two buildings, and had been designed to look like two snakes, Kuniya and Liru, part of the creation of Uluru. We were not allowed to take any photos, which I loved. It meant people had to actually read and listen to the stories that make Uluru a sacred place. I found it fascinating to learn some of the dreamtime stories and the physical attributes associated with them. It has to be noted that the Anangu people only tell us white folk the basic idea, that shared with their children. As they grow, more of the story is revealed to them and they are expected to learn from its teachings and become adults.

I watched a video made in the eighties about when the land was officially handed back to its rightful owners. It was quite amusing, yet also incredibly sad, to hear the elders talk about their first meetings with Westerners. We were, and still are, so blatantly naïve when it comes to the oldest culture in the world. We see something large protruding from the ground and immediately want to climb it, not learn about its significance. There are talks at the moment between the board managing Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park and the Australian Government. It is requested that people do not climb Uluru, out of respect. This does not stop them, however. They are attempting to ban this act completely and I for one couldn't agree with them more. I don't understand why anyone would want to climb anyway!

Con had to come and fetch me, I was so engrossed in the culture, I was last to the bus! The video had been long, but I didn't realise just how long. It was now time for us to enjoy part of the base walk and see the rock up close. We were driven around to the western side, where we parked up and began our Mala Walk.

The walk took us around to the base of the rock and through to many ancient caves. I just couldn't stop staring, it was all so unbelievably beautiful. There was lots of ancient rock art to gape at, slightly different styles to those that I had seen in Darwin. We saw the Men's Cave and the Elders' Caves, we also walked past the Women's Cave. As this is sacred, no photos are allowed. Men from the tribe were not allowed to enter the site, they couldn't even look at it. Even now, Aboriginal Guides will turn their faces away as they pass the bell shaped cave. It was where the women would teach young girls how to go about their daily lives in the outback and initiate them when they were ready.

We walked as far as the Mutitjulu waterhole before we had to head back. I had always imagined Uluru in the dry desert, so was amazed to find this source of water so close to the rock. Con said that when he last visited, the water level was higher and there was still a gentle flow down the rock face. Obviously, with it now being dry season, there hadn't been rain for a while. The Anangu people see water as sacred, so it was not to be touched or drank, and especially not swam in. I found this made it a wonderfully peaceful place, where I could just stop and listen to the birds and take in the spectacular scenery.

We now had to get back, otherwise we wouldn't be at the lookout for sunset! The drive back didn't take too long. I quickly changed from my shorts into my leggings, it would no doubt be colder later. Con was driving me straight from sunset to the bus stop for my Field of Light tour. For now, we all headed up to the camp lookout. We walked over the sand dunes and found ourselves at a platform with awesome views over to Uluru. We could even see Kata Tjuta in the distance! Making it even better, Con had bought up some crackers and dips.

Sunset was incredible, watching the colour slowly change on Uluru was something I had wanted to see for so long. There was something about it that drew you in. The atmosphere was peaceful, everyone was in awe. It was breathtaking and I was beyond happy. Standing on a tiny wooden post, avoiding the crowd below ruining my view, this was a true Aussie experience I would never forget.

Next up, a truly once-in-a-lifetime experience, Bruce Munro's Field of Light exhibit. Con dropped me off outside the campground, and I joined the others waiting for the bus transfer. A little girl was amusing us all with her attempts at "games" to keep her family occupied. No one ever seemed to know the rules, and yet she always won. Finally, as it was beginning to get just a little bit cold, the bus arrived. We were the first stop, and so I managed to find a seat to myself. The seat next to me remained empty, despite the tour being "full".

We arrived to the now pitch-black field in the middle of nowhere that Munro had chosen to house his masterpiece. The guide that met us explained a few rules and regulations (basically stick to the path and don't steal anything) and we were free to look around. 50,000 hand-crafted glass stems were arranged in a space about the size of four football fields. These were then connected to solar-powered LED lights that changed colour every 5-6 seconds. It sounds boring, but it was completely mesmerising. The ever changing carpet of light surrounded me as I walked through, enveloped in the silence and still of the night. I was lucky enough to have the added wonder of a full moon too.

The 45mins was the perfect amount of time for me, and I found myself back at the entrance just in time. The bus pulled up soon after, and we all clambered back aboard. I suddenly realised I'd have to get off where I'd got on, at the campground. I asked the driver if he would be making a stop at the coach campground and he just laughed. And so I alighted, and with little options, decided I could walk to our camp.
Unfortunately, I didn't actually know which way to walk. Fortunately, there was a decent amount of light omitted from the street lamps and I had my head torch, just in case. I decided to guess. I started walking in one direction but had a funny feeling it was the wrong way.

Heading back the way I had came looked more familiar, I could see the police station and hospital, which I'm sure we had passed earlier.
All of a sudden, I saw a familiar sight. The Yulara Shuttle.. I knew I'd seen it around camp. Just my luck, at this point I wasn't actually near a stop, and so the driver wouldn't let me on. No worries, I could walk to the next hotel and wait there. Sails in the Desert had a patio heater and comfy chairs, I was to wait 15mins for the shuttle to come back around. It was a relief to know I was finally making progress. I climbed on board the warm bus and sank into a seat.

The shuttle bus trundled along, past all of the hotels and apartments. People got on and off; some clearly tourists, clutching souvenirs and wearing all the merch, others obviously lived and worked here and carted their pizza boxes and groceries with pride. Something wasn't right, after the campground stop we carried back on round to where I had started. Confused, I asked the driver why we hadn't been to the coach campground. Apparently you had to request it. Who knew.

I finally arrived back to camp gone 9.30, tired and hungry. I was so happy to see a roaring campfire and my portion of stirfry warming through on the hot plate. I scoffed down the food, it had smelled amazing, and tasted even better. I joined the others in a spot of star gazing, the night was so clear. I politely declined roasting marshmallows, as much as I wanted one - I would never sleep!  

Now to unroll my swag, set up my sleeping bag inside, grab my pillow from the bus, choose a good spot near the fire, clean my teeth, layer up my pyjamas, struggle to find a comfy position, shield my eyes from the moonlight, and finally, sleep.

~

My phone was charging in the kitchen so I hadn't been able to set an alarm. I was relying on everyone to make enough noise around me to wake me up in time. The sound of swags being unzipped and zipped did wake me, but I dozed until Con warned us of the time. It was 6am, breakfast time if we were to get to sunrise in time. I treated myself to a cuppa and a few slices of toast, with peanut butter and nutella. Not on the same slice, obviously. 

We all piled on the bus and Con drove us all back into the national park and on to Kata Tjuta. There were a lot of cars and coaches when we arrived at the lookout. We all practically ran up the ramp, hopeful there'd be some good spots left. It was very busy, but a lot of people had positioned themselves to watch Uluru. We'd been told that the colours were more impressive on Kata Tjuta. Even in the dark, they looked amazing. Huge boulders protruding from the ground, taller than Uluru. However, Uluru was a monolith and Kata Tjuta was a collection of over thirty domes of rock. As the sun began to rise, a spectrum of colours reflected off of these stones. They went from grey, to blue, to purple, to mauve, to a reddy-brown and finally that gorgeous copper red. Stunning. I had found a post on one of the not-so-busy lower levels to stand on and admire the natural beauty. Of course I couldn't let Uluru go unnoticed, or the sunrise itself. It was a spectacular scene all round and an amazing way to start the day.

Once the sun had fully risen we made our way back down to the bus, used the toilets, and were on our way to Kata Tjuta. It was a short drive and we were soon gazing up at the impressive natural phenomenon. Kata Tjuta means "many heads", and how aptly it was named! We would be doing the Valley of the Winds walk, and so I had layered up with a long-sleeved tee, a t-shirt, zipped hoody and raincoat. That should keep the cold out, it was certainly a bit breezy and the sun hadn't reached us yet. It was really something to be able to walk through Kata Tjuta itself, and get a different perspective. Everything around us was made millions of years ago, even the gravel paths were once part of the rocks.

Once we were through the incredibly windy valley, I began to feel just a tad warm. I removed a few layers, I wasn't the only one. We all stopped for a minute to cool off, strip off and drink up. The panoramic views were incredible, all around us was a contrast of greens and oranges. We had a bit of a hike next, up steep steps to get to the second lookout. Sure, it was a struggle. I could see people enjoying the view from the top, and that kept me motivated to keep on going. The view was worth it, sitting between two of the giant "heads", I could see for miles across the arid landscape. 

Continuing our loop around, I was happy to learn it was all downhill from here (in the best way). Myself and Jana picked up quite a pace, especially once we were on the flat. The sky was so clear by this point, and the sun was beating down. I could understand why they closed the walk after 11am, it would be insanity to do it in the midday sun! For now, it was perfect, and the colours around us brightened in the light, I felt like I was in a painting. We were back at the bus by twelve, snacking on cereal bars and oranges. We had another stop before we headed back for lunch.

Leaving Kata Tjuta behind, we were driven back around to Uluru. This time we visited the opposite side and stayed in the bus. From our vantage point, Con told us another story and showed us some fascinating physical attributes that linked in with it. It still astounded me just how different the surface was to how I had imagined. I wanted to stay and get back up close again, but we had lunch to eat.. we would return for sunset. 

We had burgers for lunch, so once again I chopped some tomatoes. I had two burgers, with some side salad and a tumbler of iced water. So classy. I was amazed by how warm it had become, so much so that I took my chair out into the sunshine to eat. No-one seemed to agree with me, insisting it was still cold. It was twenty degrees! Maybe it was just because I got so used to freezing my butt off in Victoria. Once my food had gone down, we had a bit of free time. I decided I'd go for a swim, apparently there was a small pool around the corner. I asked if anyone wanted to come with me. Now I really was insane, it was "way too cold".

They may have been right. I walked to the pool to find it empty, and dumped my stuff on the bench. I first just stood on the stairs, getting a feel for the water. It was just a little bit cold, but it seemed to get warmer as I stood there. Either I was getting used to it, or I was just numb. Time to dive in. Bloody hell. The cold actually took my breath away. I managed two laps before I had to get out. I was shivering. At least it felt warmer out of the water, and I just sunbathed to dry off. Back for a nice warm shower.. of course telling everyone it was a lovely swim.

We would be watching the sunset again tonight, this time from the Bus Viewing area, much closer to Uluru. It was really busy, with so many bus tours.. you could tell the price differences. Some had champagne and platters of beautiful food, others had sparkling wine in plastic glasses, we had crackers again. I know what I'd prefer! The sweet potato dip was quickly becoming a favourite. Eug and Zach set up a tripod on the trailer roof to capture a time lapse. I thought it would be a nice place to sit and watch, without the crowds. Obviously we couldn't very well just sit on a trailer, that would be irresponsible and dangerous. Michael, Belinda, Amanda, Jana and I definitely didn't (wink wink nudge nudge). Watching the sun set was really something, I still couldn't get over the colours. The gradual change was magical. It seemed to last forever, lucky us!

After a group photo down on the ground, it was back to camp. We would be having curry tonight and I helped cut some veggies. The Brissie crew were off to the Field of Light this time. While Con dropped them off, I cooked the chicken and Jana stirred the sauce. It all smelled so good, I was getting hungry! Luckily, we didn't have to wait too long for Con to return so we could dig in. It tasted so good, I couldn't remember the last time I'd had a curry.

Sitting around the fire, we all shared stories. I loved poking the logs when needed, being in charge of fire was always fun. It was another clear night, the stars were so bright. I still find it mind boggling to look up and not see any of the constellations I'd find back home. Con taught us all about the Southern Cross, and how to use it to find true South. Fascinating.

The others returned and joined us around the fire with their food. Seems they also loved the installation. It was getting late, and I wanted to be awake for another sunrise. I zipped myself into my swag and found the perfect position to get a good night's sleep.

~

I was the first to leave camp for the sunrise, walking back up to the lookout. I somehow found myself behind a group of teenage Americans. Wonderful. They had brought up sleeping bags and positioned themselves across the whole width facing Uluru. One of them then pointed out "why are we facing he stupid rock, sunrise is the other way". As much as this rattled me, it meant I got a good spot infront of Uluru. Soon Eug, Kai and Zach also arrived, gradually followed by Vikki and Michelle. The sun seemed to be having a lie-in this morning, it took a little while to get up and about. Even then it was a little cloudy, I waited to see if it would clear and popped down for breakfast when it didn't.

I really wanted a shower this morning, but apparently some guy was cleaning so I couldn't? He said he'd be half an hour, and so I helped clear everything away into the eskies and into the trailer. I tried again, to no avail. It had been nearly forty minutes?! I went back to camp, now packing all of my own things away. Belinda joined me for the next attempt, and we ran straight into a paramedic. Someone had had a heart attack or something, we were to use the men's. Who should we see on our way but Ben (from Mulgas), he had a tour group of teenage girls and their teachers and was struggling. Poor guy.

We had a longer drive this morning, back along the highway to Kings Canyon. We arrived at Kings Creek Station and had a quick lunch to make. Today was wraps, I had two full ones - one with chicken and one with tuna. Yummy. We had to clear up quick and get going if we were to complete our walk before sundown. We were back on the bus in record time. Unsure what the weather was up to, I packed my cap, suncream, and a hoody. It didn't take us too long to arrive in the carpark. Quick toilet stop and we were off.

Naturally, to reach the top of the canyon there would be stairs. Apparently it was only 1km, but it felt like a lifetime. The first half was difficult, but for once I found a rhythm. Sure, I still had to stop to regulate my breathing every dozen steps. But I recovered quicker. I made it to the top and was nearly rendered breathless again, just from the view! It was incredible, I could see for miles. The colour was similar to Uluru and Kata Tjuta, but there seemed to be more of a greyish tinge on the rock face. The canyon was also much more fragile, we had to stay two metres from the edge at all time. Just in case.

We enjoyed the walk, up and down and all around, marvelling at the stunning views around us. Con stopped us near one ledge, where we could see right opposite to the other side of the canyon. Here, we counted down and all shouted "coo-ee".. the echo was unbelievable. I loved it, I bloody love it when nature and science combine. Around the corner, we could see where a large chunk of rock had recently simply fell away. The place where it had been was now so smooth and flat, it was amazing to see how quickly erosion can suddenly have such a huge impact.

The Garden of Eden was our next stop, we trekked down into the canyon itself to visit the warerhole. Suddenly, we were immersed in green; trees, bushes and grasses here on the ground and from the rocks. It was a real oasis, so quiet and peaceful. Unfortunately, we couldn't stay too long, the sun was dipping and the clouds were darkening. It looked like we had rain to worry about as well as sunset.
We got up to the other side of of the canyon, and had started our three kilometre walk back down when the first spots of rain appeared. We quickened the pace. We couldn't outrun the rain, it was above us before we knew it and getting heavier. At first it was refreshing, then it was just annoying. We couldn't rush either, the rocks were now slippy. Somehow, six of us ended up on the final descent and the others were nowhere to be seen. By the time they had caught up, the rain had stopped. The clouds were still hanging in the sky though, no chance of a good sunset tonight.

The rain had left puddles all over camp, the fire was out and the embers were damp. Luckily the ground where we'd be sleeping wasn't too sodden, but the firewood was. While half of the gang got the fire going, the rest of us headed for the kitchen. I was in charge of the salad, cutting cucumber, tomatoes and onions into cubes. Con was part Greek, so it was Greek BBQ and Greek Salad. I got told off for suggesting we add carrots! While the meat was cooking, we sat by the fire and tried to dry out the swags. They had done good job getting the wood to catch, and we now had a roaring fire to watch. 

Dinner was delicious, I had extra snags because I didn't want any lamb. Add those to the mound of salad and veggies on my plate and I was fit to burst. We had some fun guessing ages, I wasn't terrible at it. Eugene surprised me, he was a million years old! And he looked so good for it. I wasn't missing out on marshmallows this time, and had a good ole smore. I couldn't help it, being around the campfire also made me want to sing. A few rounds of "campfires burning" and "gig gang gooly" and I was ready for bed. We were to be awake super early tomorrow for a long drive.

~

Today was the day we left the Northern Territory behind. After a very quick breakfast, just a cuppa for me, we rolled our swags and made it into the bus for 6am. I tried to stay awake on the bus, but it was still dark so I couldn't see anything out of the window to keep me amused. Everyone was soon fast asleep, we were woken by the sunrise and Con stopping at the side of the road. I took a few snaps of the sun, and decided to get a good one of the empty outback road. Sure, it wasn't a dirt one as I'd have preferred, but as I sat down I was rather glad I wouldn't be getting a dirty bottom.

Our next stop wasn't until Kulgera Pub, the last roadhouse in NT. Here we found a sign stating distances.. we'd already travelled 296km from Alice! Con treated us to some crisps to keep us going. It didn't seem long until we'd made it to the border. It was a bit more exciting than the NSW/QLD one, with a nice big scuplture/sign thing and some information boards. It was nice to get out and stretch the legs, although it already felt chillier in South Australia. We had another stop about 2ish for some proper lunch, chip butties! I hadn't had one of those for ages, tasted blooming marvellous.

We finally arrived in Coober Pedy, had a drive through the town and parked up at Umoora Museum and Bunkhouse. Tonight, we'd be sleeping in the underground bunkhouse. But for now, it was time for a cheeky little walk on top of the museum. The view was odd, so much is hidden underground that I could just see lots of piles of dirt and chimney shutes. Con checked us in and on his return we were quickly ushered into the museum. I hoped it wouldn't be too cold, I hadn't layered up and still had my flip flops on!

Our guide was adorable, she was originally from Switzerland and had been living in Coober Pedy for a year. She explained all the pros and cons of living underground and how much she loved it. We were shown a typical house set up; with living room, kitchen, bathroom, bedroom. It was wired with electricity and had controlled airflow, keeping it at a perfect temperature. The bedroom was surprisingly roomy and once everyone was in, the door was closed and the lights turned off. It was the blackest black I think I had ever experienced. You'd definitely get a good night sleep in there! Waking up might be a struggle though.

Through the museum, we were taken to a theatrette to watch a short film on the history and discovery of opals in the area. It was incredibly cheesy, clearly made in the eighties, but still pretty informative. I don't think I'd ever even seen an opal before arriving that evening. They were simply magical, the way the light caught and illuminated the colours was captivating. Our guide then appeared behind the screen, revealing a mini factory. We were shown how the opal was cut, sanded, and polished. Naturally, she didn't use real opals, and offered the finished product at the end of the talk. No-one moved, so I was now the proud owner of my very own fake, but very shiny, opal.

A quick wander through the gift shop - there was no chance I would be purchasing anything. Con had used the time to go grocery shopping, but still hasn't returned. This was unfortunate as all of my warm clothes were on the bus. I hadn't realised we were staying out! Luckily, I was with a very lovely bunch of people and Vikki offered her hoody almost immediately. We waited up on the lookout, but had missed the sunset again. The sky still had gorgeous pastel gradients. The bus finally returned and I practically ran to grab my own hoody and proper shoes.

It was getting a little bit chilly now, and we were walking to our next stop of the day. Josephine's Kangaroo Sanctuary was about 10mins away and we arrived just in time for our talk and demonstration. Tommy Crow, a world-famous Aborigine, was visiting for a few days and we were lucky enough to hear him play. He explained the different names and forms of didgeridoo from different tribes. I can't actually remember the names, but I do know how to spot a fake instrument. As I discovered in Litchfield, termites are used to hollow out the tube. If it isn't bumpy inside, it isn't a didgeridoo. His playing was awesome, he could do that thing where you make two noises at once?! Incredible.

We were all then taken outside to meet the kangaroo residents. We were given some food but none of them seemed too interested. Zach and I were crouched at the end of the row, and they didn't seem to want to make the effort. Terry reckoned they were quite jumpy because they could hear roadworks. It was a lovely story how the sanctuary came about and you can tell the roos are well looked after. They were bored of us quite quickly and hopped out of the garden, I just left my food in a nice pile for them to find.

Now for the real treat, we went back into the warm and Terry brought in an orphaned joey called Sophie. She was so sweet, she loved her blanket pouch. He did attempt to get her out but she was still unsteady on her feet. She looked around a bit at us all, took a few wobbly steps and wanted back in. He called her his "pouch potato". The Sanctuary also sold paintings, other artwork and gifts. After a lot of umming and aahing I decided to purchase a Tommy Crow painting. It felt extra special to me as I'd watched him paint it. Apparently it will be worth a lot in a few years/when he dies.. not sure I'd ever want to sell it though!

Dinner tonight was pizza at the infamous John's Pizza. There were pictures of celeb customers on the walls and everything. We had a massive table reserved for us all and about six different pizzas to share. My favourite was the meaty one, I did try one of most of them though. Wasn't too keen on the House Special - mushrooms and olives are two of my main dislikes. Amazingly, there were only four slices left out of all the pizzas, someone would be having a snazzy breakfast in the morning. There was a Rugby Union match on so the group from Brisbane went straight to the pub to watch. Myself and Jana wanted to shower first, and then maybe join.

Back at the hostel, Michael and I unloaded the trailer and explored the bunkhouse. I couldn't believe just how long it was. It was like one large corridor carved into the rock, with alcoves along the walls containing two or four bunkbeds. The temperature was perfect and it was so quiet. I was expecting it to smell musty, but I was surprised to find it quite fresh. I chose my bunkbed, and closed off my bedroom with the curtain. It was luxury, having so much space to myself. I could already tell I was going to sleep really well. 

After a disappointing shower, Jana and I walked to the pub. We literally arrived just as the match had finished, typical. We walked back with the guys and had a cuppa when we got back. Zach and Eugene joined us and we had a good chin wag, and a hot chocolate, before it was bedtime. This was potentially the softest bed I'd been on in a while.. certainly made a change from sleeping on the ground outside!

~

I slept so well that I didn't even mind waking up for sunrise. I grabbed myself a cuppa and walked on top of the museum to the viewpoint. I could see for miles, but all I could see were clouds. A few of the others joined, but we all climbed down pretty quickly when we realised there wasn't really a sunrise. Time for breakfast, I decided to be healthy and have granola and yoghurt. But I did have toast too, possibly with nutella. With everything packed away, we bid farewell to the bunkhouse and began the long drive south. Before leaving Coober Pedy, we grabbed a group photo at the cool town sign. 

We drove for what felt like forever, hardly seeing anything on our way. I had had a few naps and watched a few films before we had even stopped for lunch. Woomera was a very interesting town used by the British, American and Australian armed forces to test nuclear weapons. There was nothing for miles around, so it was the perfect place apparently. They had missiles, planes and even bombshells on display. It was really rather fascinating. 

Con drove us around the corner to the town park, where we found a mini aviary with peacocks, parrots and cockatoos a plenty. One of them even spoke, and laughed! Peckish, we made use of the barbeques with toasted sandwiches. I was so hungry, I managed three! Toastie are so underrated, I was quickly falling back in love with the ease and speed with which they could be made. Con had bought a boomerang and we were soon messing around with it, failing to get it to return. It's all in the wrist apparently. Between us, we managed to get it stuck on the roof, in a tree and very nearly in with the birds!

One last stretch in the bus, and we'd made it to the Flinders Ranges. The sun was setting as we drove straight through, up and down to get to Stony Creek Campground. We were given rooms and unloaded our bags. This was by far the nicest accommodation, our little cabin was perfect. It smelled amazing and the beds looked super comfortable. Jana, Amanda and I were in room 1. The common area was just as impressive. We had a full kitchen, log fire, darts, ping-long table and surround sound system. I was impressed!

We were having pasta for dinner, so I helped by cutting courgettes and, of course, tomatoes. Eugene cut an onion for the first time in his life, it was a big moment for everyone. While waiting for the food to cook, I had a few goes on the dart board. I was a lot better than I remember, not so much with aiming but with accidentally getting high numbers. I could even do it with my left hand! Amanda and I also tried a game of ping-pong. We weren't very good at keeping the ball on the table.. It was bouncing off the walls, the floor and the ceiling. Still, we had fun.

The pasta was delicious, I had two helpings. I then made tea for everyone before we all helped clear away. Now for aome more dart board fun. I played with Zach and Eugene. We tried to go from 1-20, Zach had great aim but myself and Eug struggled. It was a lot harder than it sounds, and I was stuck on 7 for ages. When the game was finally won, by Zach of course, it was time for cards. People dipped in and out to have showers etc as we played a few different games. I got to hone my Big 2 skills, still not got the hang of that one. The night ended with Vicki, Zach, Eug, Michelle and I playing cheat. They really didn't trust one another and the game took forever. Even after I'd won, I hopped back in to help finish. We finally gave up around 1am and I stumbled to bed.

~

Our last day on tour, it had gone by so quickly! This morning, I wanted to try the shower - everyone had been raving about it. I wasn't disappointed, the showerhead was massive and the water pressure was perfect. It's the little things. Breakfast was toast this morning, and two cups of tea. The mugs just weren't big enough to curb the thirst. We packed everything into the trailer, we would be leaving it at camp for our walk today. Apparently the roads were too narrow to drag it along.

It was a short drive to Alligator Gorge. The road was pretty bumpy at times with a few steep inclines..  the trailer would definitely not have made it. We were now at the bottom of Mount Remarkable. Today was a short walk though, a circuit through the gorge. The rocks were not as red as up north, but they definitely still had a tinge to them. It was much greener here too. You could tell they had had more rainfall. The hike was easy, quite flat most of the way. We had a few rocks and stones to climb over but the main struggle was trying to remember the Indiana Jones theme. Myself and Kai were trying so hard, but just kept singing Jurassic Park or Superman instead. We got there in the end, with a little help from Con.

Back to camp, we had a quick wrap lunch and reattached the trailer. We were going for the home run now, all the way to Adelaide. First was one last stop in a little town called Laura, who claimed to have the best ice cream in Oz. Obviously, we had to check that out. Koffi and Kandi offered five scoops for only $6. I opted for banana, strawberry, toffee, white chocolate and raspberry, and vanilla. It was delicious, I'd have to try more brands before I decided it was the best though. I also treated myself to some homemade fudge, that went down a treat.

Before I knew it, we had arrived in Adelaide. I was the first stop, and bid everyone farewell as we pulled up at the Travellers Inn. I had had an epic adventure through Central Australia with an amazing bunch of people. It had definitely been one of the highlights so far. Now it was time to explore "Radelaide"!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stop 1: Bangkok

Loka: Stop 7: Magnetic Island

GKR World Cup 8

A Week in Exmouth