Stop 5: Cameron Highlands

We had ourselves another long journey to look forward to from George Town to Cameron Highlands. I had planned on waking up early to hunt out the art, but instead I may have slept in. Oops. Me and Amy packed our stuff and checked-out, then headed to the cafe next door for brunch.
Our belongings were all crammed into the tiny boots of the mini buses. I was on the back row with Sarah and Natoya, a few bags dangerously close to our heads. We were all soon in the land of the nod so weren't too fussed. It wasn't the most comfortable ride, didn't help that we were climbing higher and higher and the roads were winding. Boom had promised us cooler temperatures, and sure enough when we got there it was raining. Just like home.
We were dropped right outside our hotel, so we didn't get too wet clambering up the stairs to the lobby. The Birds Nest Hotel was on a steady incline, and so it was higher rooms had better views. However there wasn't a lift. We didn't know what to hope for, but ended up on the first floor, it was grey out anyway so don't think we're missing too much.
We met downstairs for our Orientation Walk, where we were shown the ATMs and weird bazaar shops that sold everything! I refrained from buying anything crazy, although I did have to get some more money out. Treated myself to a cold Ribena too and was feeling like a million dollars - well a million ringgit at least.
Dinner tonight was Indian.. I had Butter Chicken, rice, a naan and two popadom. It was so good, I couldn't finish it all though. We have all decided to go on a Group Tour tomorrow, including a Jungle Trek and visit to a Tea Plantation. And so it was early to bed.
~
Cracked out my walking trainers for our tour today and had a small breakfast. By this I mean I only managed a water, still full from that curry! My day bag sorted, packed with my rain mac, water and snacks, I was ready.
Our drivers took us out of the town on 4x4s and into the Highlands. We were driving for about 40minutes so I obviously had a power nap. Because it had been raining we had to park lower down than usual and walk to the top of the hill. This was a workout in itself, although apparently "easy".
Time to find the largest flower in the world, we were told it would be roughly 1-2hrs trekking. Personally, I was banking on it being closer to an hour - I was already lagging behind from the walk there. I'd like to say I got into it but I didn't really, I was just so slow. I couldn't understand how everyone was managing to walk so quickly through the mud and undergrowth and over the irrigation pipes.
After what seemed an eternity, we made it to a baby Rafflesia Arnoldii flower. Luckily, as it was not fully grown, the smell was not yet pungent. They're known as Corpse Flowers when mature, because they literally smell of decaying flesh. Nice. We all had a mini photo shoot with the flower, it's fascinating up close, and then it was time to head back the way we came!
As always, the trek back did seem much quicker. But it was a tad more difficult as the mud was much more slippery from the rain, and from multiple groups tredging through it. I did slip once or twice but managed to stay upright both times. For some odd reason I'd worn a white top, but this survived too. Can't say the same for the shoes.
We clambered back into our 4x4s, all covered in mud and looking a bit worn out. Before heading to lunch we were given a Blow Pipe demonstration. These long pipes are used to shoot poison arrows at small animals. The boys here are taught from a young age so they are able to help their fathers. The man that showed us his skills was very good, very precise. Don't think any of us thought we'd get to have a go! I was shockingly bad... The man gave me three goes because he couldn't understand why I just couldn't do it.
Once we'd all had a turn, with Alex and Christina tying for top dog, it was lunch time. We were all so hungry, but a toilet stop was just as in demand. There were signs banning us from washing our feet/legs in the washrooms so we stayed dirty. I ordered a hot chocolate and chicken and chips from Old Town White Coffee. The drink was perfect, just what I needed. When the food finally came I enjoyed that too, although they don't have any tomato sauce here.
Our next stop was a visit to Boh Tea Plantation. This meant climbing back into the hills, where we could see tree planted for miles and miles. It was quite something to see! We messed around in between the bushes and had our photo taken by the bemused driver.
There are two Tea Plantations in the Cameron Highlands, one owned by a British family and one by an Indian family. Boh Tea have been using the same methods and machinery since they first opened their factory tours. They say if it's not broken, don't fix it.. clearly works for them! We walked through the plant and then I ordered an Afternoon Tea leaf tea. It was actually very nice despite the lack of milk.
Our next stop was a the highest point in Malaysia at a cool 6,666ft above sea level. The drive up was interesting to say the least, we were clinging on for dear life! The view wasn't great, a bit foggy, but you could still see how far the jungle stretched.
We were all really looking forward to the Mossy Forest. Boom had sold it to us by comparing it to Lord of the Rings. I have  to admit I haven't seen the films but the guys showed me pictures before we left. According to our guide there is very little wildlife in Malaysia's small stretch of Mossy Forest. However I didn't expect it to be as quiet and peaceful as it was. Seeing the moss covered leaves and rocks and branches was amazing. Definitely my favourite part of the day, it was beautiful and so well conserved.
It was nearly the end of our tour, but first we had one last stop to make. A trip to a Strawberry Farm. Because the weather conditions here are so much like Britain, the Cameron Highlands actually have a strong production of their own. I tried some and, although not a patch on ours, they did taste very nice.
We got caught in a bit of traffic and then a bit of rain, but made it back to the hotel about 6.30pm. We were meeting at 7.30 for dinner so it was a quick jump in the shower. We had a few issues, first I couldn't get it to work, then Amy couldn't.. we had to fetch Claire. Then between us we may have flooded the wet room slightly. At least we were clean. Ish.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stop 1: Bangkok

Loka: Stop 7: Magnetic Island

GKR World Cup 8

A Week in Exmouth