Stop 8: Singapore

After a later night than planned (I blame Boom) the alarm went off at 5am. We were already packed and ready so were downstairs for half past. Everyone was so on the ball that we had time to sing a rowdy Happy Birthday to Jen and were piling into taxis not long after. Back to the fancy bus station and back outside McDonald's. Our bus was at 6.30 and McDonald's didn't open until just after 6, safe to say there was tension. Amy somehow ended up with an extra Milo so I enjoyed that!

Back on our fancy coach I filled out the immigration form necessary. At least I filled out what I could until the lights were turned off, everyone wanted to go back to sleep. Being a morning person, I caught up with my blog and then actually read my book for the first time. Did have a little nap, but was in a much better mood than others. It only took a few hours for us to get to the border, wasn't looking forward to the hassle.

We arrived at the border of Malaysia and got stamped out (again mine on the same page?!) before getting back on the bus. We then drove through no man's land to the Singapore border. We ensured we were free of contraband before hauling our bags off. I had made sure I'd chucked my chewing gum the night before. As advised, we pretended not to know Boom and headed through in smaller groups.

We got through in record time. Boom was so impressed, it must have only taken 20mins and was drama free. We're obviously all just that perfect! The same bus driver was okay to take us all on from there as he hadn't got bored waiting. Singapore bus station was another posh one, it had started to rain so Boom organised taxis to the hotel. A rather staggered arrival at Hotel Bencoolen meant a wait in their cool lobby while keys were organised.

Me and Amy were on the fourth floor, riding in the elevator we discovered there was a roof terrace pool.. And an ice machine! The room is also the best yet, double bed each and a bath. We didn't have long until returning downstairs for lunch. It was still drizzling a bit so some of the ladies went ahead in taxis while we made the 20min walk across to a nice Thai restaurant.

The view from the harbourside restaurant was insane. I'd been told about the bizarre Marina Bay Sands, but still found it very odd to be looking at a boat on top of a three towered hotel. So weird. I ordered lemon chicken and fries with chilli sauce. Boom had warned us about portion sizes, she wasn't joking. My fries fed the whole table while we waiting for mains. The chicken was amazing too, two whole fillets and salad! 

Boom had snuck off and bought a birthday cake so we all sang again and had a piece of red velvet. It was raining ever so slightly when we were eating but it got worse as we were leaving. I really wanted to see the Merlion so joined the Orientation Walk. Still couldn't get over how modern it was here, so many skyscrapers.

We were all a bit soggy by the time we reached Merlion Park, including the Merlion himself. It's meant to symbolise Singapore's humble beginnings as a fishing town. I liked it, it was simple and effective. We found a mini Merlion that was even cuter, made as a mosaic and given it's own mini pool.

The other guys took a taxi back due to the rain, wimps. I walked through to Chinatown with Steffen. He wanted to find his next hostel and I just wanted to check out the sights. It was nice to move away from all the new and upcoming architecture and get back to history and culture.

I left Steffen and decided to pop by Raffles Hotel. I didn't really have the money for a drink, not that I'd be having a Singapore Sling anyway, but couldn't not go. Took me a while to find the front of the hotel (it takes over a whole block) but I got there in the end. Their Christmas decorations were really pretty, with wreaths and garlands in red, gold and green. So weird still that it's nearly Christmas!

Back at the hotel I thought I'd check out the pool, so headed up to the second floor. It's not really much of a pool to be honest, more of a small pond. Still, was nice to dip my toes in the cool water, whilst sipping my iced water. Amy was napping when I got back to the room, we had about an hour until we were meeting so I blogged and she had another 40 winks.

We were both very excited to visit the Night Safari. As we made our way downstairs, Boom was in a flap because the driver was not in the best mood. Although our pick up was 6.15, we came down at 6.10 and he was already raring to go. Boom was so sweet, practically begging him to wait. Eventually we were all on, waving goodbye to Boom.

It was a quick drive to Gardens by the Bay where we then met the rest of our tour group and were given an awesome glow-in-the-dark sticker. Me and Natoya may have had a little nap on the next coach, it was dark outside so only natural. Once we arrived at Night Safari we were given our tickets and taken to the tram stop. There were pretty twinkly lights everywhere, not sure if for Christmas or because it's a nightime attraction?

Amy, Alison, Clair and myself slid onto one seat at the front of one of the carriages. No flash photography allowed, we all had a quick test of how well our phones/cameras would work. I decided not to take any photos, unless the enclosures were well lit. The park is split into six habitats; Himalayan Foothills, Indian Subcontinent, Equatorial Africa, Asian Riverine Forest, Nepalese River Valley and Burmese Hillside.

The tram ride was about 40mins travelling through each zone. We saw so many different animals, big and small. Some of my favourites were the sloth bears, lions and elephants. We heard lots of interesting facts along the way too. We saw a type of deer that had been know to kill lions!

As well as the tram, we could also take several walking trails around the park. These allowed you to get even closer to the animals, and see the smaller ones better. I had given up on taking photos by this point and was just excitedly rushing from one animal to another. I loved the leopard cats, they reminded me of Charlie. The last exhibit was the Wallaby Trail, with free ranging wallaby and kangaroos. They were adorable!

Back at the meeting point, I treated myself to an ice cream. I then found Amy and Alison who had found a really cool community shop. All proceeds from The Animal Project merchandise help mental health associations, I bought a really cool penguin t-shirt. Back to the hotel all beaming ear to ear.. Happy Birthday Jenny!

~

Boom had told us she was leaving at 9.15 this morning (sob sob) so we had set alarms for breakfast. When we made it downstairs, there was renovation work so breakfast was in the street, Alex and Laura were already there with Boom. Best food selection yet, I helped myself to beans on toast, orange juice and a cup of tea.

I had hugs and goodbyes with everyone, wasn't sure who I'd see again before I left. Everyone on the group is so lovely and friendly and it was sad to say goodbye. But as Boom says "it's not goodbye, it's see you later". What a genuine gal she is, after a few more hugs and photos, found out she has been convinced to stay longer. Natoya was staying in Marina Bay Sands and had offered her a bed! Also found out that Alex was to propose to Laura that night!!! How exciting!

I ran back upstairs and had a shower so I could pack everything away. Amy was staying an extra night in the room so I could leave my bags there for the day. Map in hand, I checked out and made my way to the tube station. I had decided that I would spend the morning at Gardens by the Bay.

The tubes were so clean, it was as if each one was brand new! It wasn't too busy either so I found it really easy to work out my route. I alighted at Marina Bay and walked the rest of the way. Passing by Marina Bay Sands it was so bizarre. They had their own shopping centre and interlinking bridge, clearly so they didn't ever have to interact with common people.

Finally made it to the entrance, only to realise there was a closer tube stop. Ah well. The gardens were incredible, they were very cleverly designed so as to minimise carbon, water and oxygen waste. It was all built on reclaimed land and they had carefully controlled every aspect of the ecosystem. I learnt a lot from the information points, it was like a fun outdoor museum.

One of my favourite parts of the Gardens was the Supertrees. They had a few dotted around, in the Silver Garden and Golden Garden, and then a large Supertree Grove. The "trees" were designed with solar panels on the top to supply energy to the gardens. They then had some that served as air exhaust receptacles. Basically, they were genius.

Natoya had invited us all to check out her room/the view from the top of Marina Bay Sands. As I was close by I walked through to the special shopping centre and tried to find my way up in the elevator. I had been told the room number and managed to sneak in the lift with some actual guests. Knocking on the door, no-one was in so I got back in the lift and aimed to get to the top. I rode up to 57, but was only able to look across the bay from behind a glass screen. Couldn't see Natoya or Boom anywhere so decided it wasn't to be.

Back downstairs again, and with WiFi again, I had a tonne of messages with instructions. Back into lift, Boom told me to meet her at a bar in Tower 1. Back to the top, I asked where to find "C'est la Vie".. turns out it was in Tower 3. Back down in the lifts again and a walk across the concourse. This was fun.

Finally I found Boom and we tried to get back in to the guest only part. Turned out it was one person per key card. I hugged Boom goodbye as she swapped with me to go and get more key cards. Bless her. It was insane up there. The infinity pool looked amazing and the view was something else! I spotted Natoya in the bar and we sat and stared at the stunning view. I could see the Gardens by the Bay from above, it looked even bigger and impressive than from ground level.

Thanks to the lift drama, I didn't have long before I had to make it back to the hotel. Natoya bought me a water, as she dipped her champagne. How the other half live! We talked about the trip and future plans and before I knew it, it was time for another goodbye.

It didn't take as long as I'd expected to get back to the hotel. I'd hoped to see Amy but she wasn't in the room. I collected my things and triple checked I hadn't left anything. Heaving my bag onto my back, I headed down to reception. Jen and Dan were there so we had another goodbye and agreed to meet up Down Under! I then made my way to the bus stop, amazed to find my bus (no.36) just pulling up. Perfect timing.

I had the most incredible time on my tour with an amazing group of friends. It was now time for my next adventure.. South East Asia, I'll be back!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stop 1: Bangkok

Loka: Stop 7: Magnetic Island

GKR World Cup 8

A Week in Exmouth