Loka: Stop 4: A Day in Surfers Paradise

I had a small panic when I woke up, had an email from Loka that just would not load and I was so worried I'd missed the bus. Luckily, I had Jordi's number, and she reassured me it was still a 9am pick up. Phew. Now I could eat my breakfast, pack up the last of my things and check out.
I was pretty early, but so was Jordi. Just as I started walking to the bus stop, the rain started. I was picked up from the corner instead and together we struggled to open the door in the pouring rain. It wasn't to be, we practically threw my bag through the back door and I climbed over the passenger seat, soaking wet, to plonk myself down. What a start to the day!

Jordi was so sweet, she offered me gum and told me about the fun they'd been having over the last week. Apparently, people had been shouting and screaming down the phones and demanding transport. I find this behaviour despicable, it's not their fault! She was no longer a Loka Tour Guide, she worked in the office, but had offered to drive to get people moving on. What a babe. We stopped off at Arts Factory to pick up two more girls, and that was it. Just the four of us on the way to Surfers Paradise.

It was so bizarre to be driving along a road which, two days ago, was flooded. We could see the fields either side absolutely swamped, with trees just poking out and fences barely visible. The rain stopped eventually and so we decided to take a stop along the border. I couldn't believe I'd finally made it to Queensland.

We drove through Tweed Heads, in New South Wales, and then once we'd been around a roundabout.. we were in Coolangatta, Queensland. It was so strange, driving up a road where one side was in another state. Jordi said she had friends living on the same street, but technically in different states. 

Point Danger was at the end of the street, named because it appeared dangerous from aboard Captain Cook's vessel. We were simple folk back then.. along the coast a bit was a Mount Warning, because it had been a warning of cliffs and rocks and potential wreckage. Go figure.

The view was not as beautiful as it may have been a few weeks ago. Debbie had caused the Tweed River to flood, and so the once turquoise sea was now a dirty brown. So sad. We could still see to the horizon though, and spot the beginnings of the Gold Coast cityscape.

Back on the bus for the last stretch, and 10mins later we had arrived in Surfers Paradise. We were dropped at the Transit Centre and Jordi advised me to dump my bag at the Bunk Backpackers. I had about 6hrs or so until my Greyhound, so I dumped my big bag and food bag and set off to explore.

I'd heard from fellow travellers that there wasn't a lot to do here other than the beach, the sea and a load of theme parks. I didn't have the time or money for theme parks, and no swimsuit for the sea... beach it was. I walked along the Esplanade and stopped in some shade to apply suncream before taking off my flip flops and sinking my toes into the golden sand. Lush.

I walked left and just kept on walking, all the way along the beach, smiling at the paddlers and surfers and kite flyers and sunbathers. It was turning into a beautifully sunny day, and the sand actually got too hot to walk on! I hopped over to the coastal path, and continued my walk.

I walked through the trees in the shade, and for the last stretch of the beach went back to sand. I had reached The Spit. There was a long jetty that I had walked under, and a sand/rock bank heading out into the sea. I climbed onto the rocks and walked along the path to an old lighthouse. The waves here were insane, the wind had picked up and they were really smashing against the rocks. I got a wee bit wet from a few big splashes.

I had been planning on walking along the jetty too, to get some good shots of the skyline. Unfortunately for me, you had to pay an entry fee. Sod that. I was getting hungry now so it was time to head back. This time I walked along Sea World Drive. It was such a long road, it was a good half hour before I even saw the park itself.
I tried to peek over the fence to see if I could spot any marine life, but all I could see was the car park. I did spot a roller coaster though, complete with screaming children and adults alike. Sea World really was massive, it even had helicopter flights!

I finally made it to the city, passing lots of posh hotels. I had finished all of my water by this point and was dying for something different to drink. I spotted a McDonalds and bought a fresh orange juice. Just what I needed.

Once I reached the Esplanade, I walked along the sand. The wind had brought all the kite surfers out, some of them pulling off some very fancy moves. Alas, I still needed food. There was a shopping centre conveniently placed just across the road from the Main Beach. I found Woolworths and treated myself to some chicken chips.
On my way over I had spotted a market, but it wasn't opening until 4pm. I killed half an hour by eating my chicken and drawing in the sand. I must have looked silly with my bum in the air, barely touching the sand with my hands... I was trying so hard not to get sand everywhere. I couldn't think of anything worse than sitting on a bus with a sandy bum!

Finally it was 4 o'clock and so I wandered through the market. Half of the vendors hadn't realised the time and were still sitting staring at their phones. It wasn't the best market I'd been to. There were the usual jewellery/clothing stalls with a few random ones thrown in. There was a stall from the local zoo with reptiles, a guy selling wax hand models and you could even had a picture taken with a mackaw. For $15.

I didn't have long now until my Greyhound, so I did a quick reckie of the bus station. Mainly because I couldn't remember where it was, but also to find the right bay. I then filled my water bottle, collected my things from Bunk and walked back to Bay 10.
All I had to do now was sit and wait. 

Overall I'd had a great day, the weather had been good to me and I must have walked a marathon. I feel like there are so many beautiful beaches along the Gold Coast that I'll have to return one day for some further explorations.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stop 1: Bangkok

Loka: Stop 7: Magnetic Island

GKR World Cup 8

A Week in Exmouth