My First Week in Brisbane

Arrived surprisingly on time, seeing as we left Surfers 10mins late. I stayed awake for the entirety of the journey, I'm proud of myself for that! By the time we had got off the bus and grabbed bags, it was pushing 7.15pm. The hostel was only an 8min walk, according to Google, so we'd see how quickly I went wrong.

I didn't go wrong as such, but there was probably a much quicker route than the one I took! I arrived at Nomads and checked in, they had a pretty old lift which I was a bit unsure of using. But, I was on the third floor though and didn't feel like dragging my bag. I got to room 320, only for my key not to work. Fantastic.

All the way back downstairs again, the receptionist was very apologetic and sorted me out. Second time round my key worked just fine and I realised I'd been upgraded. Even though I'd paid for a 10 share dorm, this one definitely only had 6 beds. Sweet!

I dumped my bag, taking out the essentials - my pjs, chargers and a jacket. I decided to explore the city a little bit before I retired. Turning left I first came across Anzac Square, with a beautiful war memorial and park.

From here I could also see the General Post Office. I attempted to walk straight towards it, but had to do a bit of diverting due to the roads. Got there in the end, it was a massive building, now holding lots of other businesses as well as the post office.

I wandered on down through Queen St Mall, it was still very busy! At the end of all the shops and restaurants and banks was another square (Brisbane Square). The Treasury Building was nicely lit up, and looked very impressive. There were also lots of large metal ball sculpture things, lit from within, which actually looked pretty cool.

Finding my way back was a lot easier than I thought it would be and I clambered my way onto the top bunk. Read a little, but was so tired I could barely keep my eyes open.

~

Breakfast this morning was of course porridge, although I hadn't had a chance to buy any milk yet. So watery oats and no cuppa would have to do. I did have the hindsight to put water in the fridge though, so at least I had that!

Today I planned to walk to see Story Bridge, designed by the same guy that did Sydney Harbour Bridge. I googled a little route and then headed off down to where I believed Boundary St was. Alas, I had trekked the complete wrong direction. Far inland, away from the river and the bridge, I eventually found a road that would take me where I wanted to be.

It took a lot longer than I had envisaged, but I finally made it to Fortitude Valley. Now I could just about see the bridge, I just wasn't sure how to get closer. I followed the signs for 'Story Bridge', but of course these were for cars and there was only so far I could go.

I now just wanted to get to Kangaroo Point. Supposedly this was right alongside the bridge. I may have got a little lost in Chinatown, and had to retrace my steps when roadworks confused me. Eventually, I made it to Boundary St and was able to cut through.. onto a riverside path. It probably would have been a lot easier to walk along that from the CBD.

I wasn't massively impressed by the bridge itself if I'm honest. The cliffs of Kangaroo Point did look pretty cool though. Very imposing. I decided to take the riverside route back into the city, it was a nice day after all and I didn't want to be in the shade of the highrisers.

It was only when I reached Queen St mall that I realised what a fool I'd been earlier. I hadn't been that far from the bridge in the first place! I had a little mooch around the shops here and made my way over the Victoria Bridge to Southbank.

So many people had told me I'd love Southbank, and it definitely lived up to the hype. The parklands were well designed, with several gardens alongside the river bank.. and a beach! The path running through was beautiful, complete with a metal arbour and stunning pink and purple bouganvilleas.

I walked through to 'Streets Beach', a swimming pool sea with sand and a view of the river and city behind. A little odd, but it worked. There were a number of pools along the esplanade, varying in depth. The beach was quite busy so I chose a rock to sit on much further along.

I chilled out for a while, writing this and people watching. It started to cloud over a bit, so I walked inland a bit and found loads of restaurants and cafes.. and a cinema. I had wanted to see Beauty and the Beast for so long now. I checked the times and prices and couldn't believe my luck. There was a showing in an hour and it would only cost me $9!

I amused myself for a while wandering through the parkland, and then it started to rain. I'd rather be early than soaking wet so I hot-footed it back to the cinema. Had a quick pit stop on the way to buy the perfect cinema snack - Skittles. As the ticket was cheap, I could afford to treat myself to some popcorn too.

The film was amazing, everything I wanted it to be. The special effects were seemless, Emma Watson was perfect, and the added scenes and songs only made the story stronger. Loved it!

It was dark when I left the cinema and I took a slow walk back through Southbank and over the bridge. I needed to buy some foods for dinner so found a Woolworths near the hostel. I never thought I'd be fed up of eating pasta, but I was just a little. And so I bought ingredients for risotto instead.

It was too late for dinner when I got back, and I was still full of popcorn. I had a few messages from Mike; himself, Debby and Naomi were heading to Australia Zoo the next day. There wasn't a Greyhound package available so I went to Central Station. Here, I bought a Go Card which would get me there on the train. Australia Zoo ticket purchased online, I was ready!

~

Breakfast was an early one this morning. Luckily I had bought milk yesterday, so at least I could have nice porridge and a proper cuppa! I was at the train station by 7.15... I must have looked confused or worries as, no sooner had I got into the station, than a lovely man was checking I was okay and giving me all the details I needed.

I stayed awake for the whole journey again, maybe this will be a new habit. I arrived at Beerwah station and rang Australia Zoo as the poster told me to. They didn't have any courtesy buses running until later, and I didn't want to pay for a normal one. And so I walked.

I got lots of funny looks on my stroll down Steve Irwin Way. Maybe people don't often walk from the station? It didn't take me too long, only half an hour. I was due to arrive about the same time as the others. In the end, I had arrived and had sat down for 2mins or so when their Greyhound pulled up.

It was great to see Mike again, and I couldn't believe it had been over a week since I'd seen Debby and Naomi! They were having a great time in Noosa and the weather wasn't treating them too badly. We each got given maps, and my reduced ticket worked just fine. It's always a worry when you buy these things online!

First was the Shuttle Bus to Africa, at the top end of the park. We'd been advised to start there and make our way back down in time for the main show in the Crocoseum. In Africa we saw giraffes, zebra and rhinos, all in the same humongous enclosure. It was lovely to see, and I could tell immediately that this was a decent zoo. Of course, the Irwins ran it.

We then walked to Bindis Island - a pretty snazzy man-made island in the middle of a lake, complete with treehouse. There were lemurs, a tortoise, mackaws, the biggest python in Australia, and snapping turtles. I didn't realise just how massive Bindi now is in the country, she's very much her father's daughter.

The show started at midday, with a performance from Bindi herself, and The Jungle Girls, at 11.30. Heading towards the arena, we walked through past the gorgeous tigers, and saw the cutest baby cheetah too. I love big cats, there's something really captivating about how fluffy and adorable they can be, teamed with the fact that they could kill you with one fell swoop.

The Crocoseum was filling up fast, it could hold up to 2,000 spectators though so we knew there was no risk of missing the show. We arrived early anyway to get a good seat, right in the middle on the shadier side. While we were waiting, old footage of Steve and his famous crocodile hunting was shown. I can't believe it's been over ten years since he died!

When the pre-pre-show-show was over and we had all screamed at the top of our lungs, and participated in several mexican waves, it was time for a healthy dose of cheesy pop music. It was hilarious to see Bindi and her four friends up on the stage dancing crazy enthusiastically and over-the-top. They were so sweet, and all the kids loved them.

Next up were birds, lots of birds. We had all sorts flying over our heads, from one side of the Crocoseum to the other. Some were tiny and super fast, others were massive. There was one really big bird, the Andean Condor, who didn't feel like performing. So we didn't get to see him fly, but even him standing was impressive enough.

We were then treated to a few snakes, on the main stage and being walked amongst the audience. And then, what we'd all been waiting for, the Irwins appeared. I didn't realise just how excited I was to see them, I remember sometimes catching their old programmes on TV when I was younger. And now I was fifty feet away!

Terri, Bindi and Rob brought a croc team with them and we got to see a demonstration with the scary Mossman. With a lot of stomping and splashing, we were shown how crocs stalk and capture food. Bindi then dangled meat from a platform, and he only jumped up to get it! I know I won't be going anywhere near any rivers now I've seen the size of those teeth. What a show.

We filed out with the crowds and grabbed some lunch. Debby and Naomi had been super organised and bought rolls, Mike and I had to buy ours. We both had ham salad wraps. It was pretty good, but not worth the queue or the money paid. Ah well. Just as we were about to head off I noticed a koala in a tree, in the middle of the food court. Was it real or just a toy? We'll never know.

After playing on the massive crocodile outside (metal, not real), we had lots more creatures to see. We wandered through the different areas and saw so many native, and international, animals. There were venomous snakes, waddling echindas, colourful birds in the aviary, sleepy wombats, surprisingly active koalas, fluffy llamas, hungry dingos, adorable otters and so so many crocodiles.

Once we'd finally had our fill, and been everywhere in the zoo, we stopped off at the gift shop. Of course I had to buy a magnet, and found a cool one with Steve Irwin and a crocodile on. I love that Steve's vision really lives on at the zoo and the family have grown and developed so many projects in his legacy.

Unfortunately, I missed the last courtesy bus back to the station by 15mins. Looked like I'd be walking again, so I said my goodbyes and walked back to the station before it got too dark. It had been an awesome visit and it was so great to spend time with everyone again.

Back at the hostel, I remembered my food voucher. The risotto could wait. Running downstairs to the bar, I very nearly bumped into Roos! I thought she'd left Byron before me, but she'd got stuck too. I took her details and we agreed to meet up at some point.

I was super excited to see sweet potato fries on the menu. Just my luck, they'd sold out. I went all out instead and ordered a chilli con carne, seasoned fries and a pint of lemonade. It was a pretty good meal altogether, certainly filled me up. And I didn't have to pay a cent!

~

I was up and eating breakfast by 7.30 this morning. As there were only six gas rings, I also decided it would be a good idea to make my risotto. I never thought I'd be eating such a fancy meal whilst staying in a hostel, but there you go. I was pretty proud of it, we'll see how it tastes later on tonight. 

I fancied an educational day, and so my first trip was to the City Hall and Brisbane Museum. I learnt that there were no buildings allowed to be taller than this hall until the 1970s. And it wasn't even that tall, not by today's standards anyway.

I tried to read all about the history of Brisbane but I didn't get very far. The museum was quite warm and was making me feel a bit lethargic. I did manage to learn about the consistent floods that have shaped the city, every fifty years or so houses and cars and lives are swept away. The latest was in 2011, so hopefully they'll be much more prepared when the next one rolls in.

Out in the fresh air I felt so much better, I walked over the bridge to the Culture Centre on Southbank. I wanted to fit in at least one more museum/gallery before I relaxed for the day. I settled on GOMA, a modern art gallery.

Immediately on entering the foyer I knew this was going to be a fun visit. Directly opposite me were two giant slides, crossing over and shooting children out to opposite sides. On the right wall behind, I could see multicoloured hair smothering the walls and floor. Cool.

I wandered through the exhibits, all just as fun and interesting as the next. The last artwork I saw before leaving was a live piece involving finches, coat hangers and strange sounds. I actually really enjoyed it, it was like being in a very clean aviary.

On leaving, I sat outside for a while to enjoy the sunshine. It was far too shady with all the buildings around so I moved to the parklands and found somewhere nice to sit. For a good 10mins I didn't really do anything, just relaxed. I felt a bit guilty though as I had blogs to catch up on. And so I wrote, still relaxing on the bench but feeling productive!

After some frantic messaging and searching, I found Roos who had been at the beach all day. I met her three friends and we walked to the botanical gardens together. En route, we found a free herb garden and helped ourselves to some spinach, basil and even chilli peppers!

Once we'd strolled through the park we made our way across the city to Woolworths. Two of the guys were in another hostel, and Roos and Eve wanted to buy some clothes. I left them to it.

I added my freshly picked spinach to my risotto, it made it even better. I enjoyed a good cuppa to finish off the day and headed upstairs. Opening the door to the room, it was empty. I had the whole room to myself!

~

It was so nice to be able to wake up when my alarm went off and not worry about having to be quiet! I enjoyed my porridge and a cuppa and was ready for my adventure of the day.

I walked to Adelaide St to find the right bus to get to Little Fig Pocket, hoping I had enough money on my GoCard. I was quite early, so sat on the bench and people watched while I was waiting. Business men and women rushed past, phones pressed to their ears and overpriced coffees in their hands.

Luckily, my GoCard had just enough money on and I was on my way to the oldest and largest koala sanctuary in Australia, Lone Pine. It was based in a national park, and the surroundings were so beautiful. We arrived for opening time, and I joined the queue to pay for my ticket.

The main reason I'd come was to hold a koala, but I decided to do a lap and see all the other animals first. For the first time, I actually saw a wombat up and about. They're so cute! I also got to see a platypus swimming around in his tank. Koalas were scattered in different groups (teens, mums, retirees) all around the grounds. 

I watched other people have their photo taken first and then paid for my voucher and joined the crowd. You had to stand very still on the markers and place your hands on top of each other about hip height. The keeper then passed Kerby over and the photographer took a professional photo and a few on my phone. Kerby was a 4yr old male and pretty heavy. He made himself comfortable, with his head resting on my chest. So adorable. I couldn't believe how soft he was, like a cuddly toy! 

I had to wait ten minutes to collect my photo so I visited the other koalas. Again, they seemed quite active. I watched as they climbed along the branches to munch on the eucalyptus leaves. There was one who must have been sitting in another's place, his mate climbed over and sat on his head! Definitely one way to make him move.

I collected my photo, which was presented in a fancy frame, and plonked it in one of the provided bags. Good job too, it had started to rain. I sheltered in the shop, buying an icecream and a large tea to keep me amused. Wandering around the adjoining café, I found more koalas! They had their own mini forest at the back. There was a talk being given to a youth group, so I listened in and heard how these guys loved the attention from the guests.

Once the rain had stopped, I visited the large paddock full of kangaroos and wallabies. It was now very busy, so I didn't buy any food. There were enough people feeding them already, so I just walked amongst them and took a few photos. The initial joy at being able to see and feed roos up close is beginning to wear off. They are everywhere after all.

I was going to take my leave when I discovered a Free Flying Bird Show was about to start. Couldn't miss that. I took a seat on the bench  in the field and then it started to rain again. It was a lot heavier this time, and the cover above us was more for shade than keeping dry. The keeper told us to hang tight, it looked like a quick downpour. 

He was right and the show began as soon as the rain stopped. We saw lots a different raptures, flying over our heads for treats of dead mice. There were also a few owls and cockatoos. Throughout the show, we could also hear laurikeets making a racket in the trees above us.

Once the show had finished, it was onto another. The Sheep Dog Demonstration. There were a fair few kids clambering to be at the front for this. I still managed to get a seat on the front row though. The farmer explained how he used two dogs on the farm, for different jobs. The border collie would round the sheep up and get them over fences etc, and then another dog would pen them in ready to be sheared. The other dog was an Australian breed, the Australian Kelpie, he was quite large and had part dingo. He was fast too.

Now it really was time to go, and I got the bus back to the city. I had to top up my GoCard now as it was minus figures. The public transport here seems pretty expensive so far. But it's still cheaper than having a car so I won't complain too much.

I got changed and made my way across the river to Southbank. There were free fitness classes held in the parklands almost every night, so I thought I'd give it a go. Tonight was Zumba, and it was so much fun. I didn't know any of the songs or moves, and there was a lot more whooping than I'm used to. How cool that it's free, no wonder everyone is so fit here. With these classes and free gym equipment in parks they have no excuse.

Finished off my evening with a slow walk back to the hostel, admiring the lights reflecting in the river. I then ate my risotto and was surprised to find an empty room again. I watched 101 Dalmations and went to sleep.

~

I had a very important errand this morning after breakfast. I had decided to send some items home, things that were weighing me down, but that I really didnt want to throw away. And so, first was to buy a box. I was a little bit disorientated when I left the hostel, and for some reason ended up at a completely different Post Office. 

I walked back to the hostel carrying a box I'd taken far too long to choose. I then had the fun job of fitting everything in perfectly so that it would close. It was like Tetris. I got there in the end and used a whole roll of sellotape making sure it was secure. 

I couldn't believe how much it cost to send my box, luckily it was just below the threshold for the next price category. Still, it saves me worrying about carrying around souvenirs and the like. I was also able to fetch a few cards and a package that had followed me from Tassie. This was the longest birthday I'd ever had.

I had planned to spend the rest of my day at Mount Coot-tha. My bus wasn't for another 20mins, so I found a funky cafe to have lunch. This was a 'make your own', offering different breads, rolls, wraps and pizza bases and a variety of fillings/toppings. I chose a sun-dried tomato wrap with lemon chicken and salad. It was yummy.

The bus to Mount Coot-tha Botanical Gardens didn't take as long as I thought. There were a few steep inclines that made me wince a tad, didn't think we'd make it! And this wasn't even the summit. The bus did continue all the way up, but I decided I'd walk up later, I didn't want to miss the gardens.

I enjoyed a slow walk around, soaking in the sights, sounds and smells. It was beautiful, the flowers were all so bright and colourful and there were lots of weird and wonderful plants I hadn't seen before. I sat by the lake for a while too, just watching the wildlife. There were ducks, lizards and even a terapin. I also found myself admiring bonsai trees in a garden landscaped almost like a gallery. 

I aimed to start my walk to the summit but the signposts were very confusing, according to my GPS, they were sending me the completely opposite direction. Still, I got to see the newest section to the gardens, regional botany, and another lake. I finally found the correct exit, but decided to pop into the Planetarium before I left.

Unfortunately, the main theatre was closed. I didn't get to stargaze, but I could still read all the information in the museum. There was some incredible artwork of the planets alongside photographs from the International Space Station. They even had a replica space suit from the moon landing.

They were practically closing around me so, feeling bad, I left. Now came the walk to the summit, there wasn't a footpath from the gardens, I just walked on the cycle track. The first part was easy enough, but once I turned the corner it was all uphill. Luckily, there weren't any steps. Although I got a good sweat going, it wasn't too hard a climb. 

When I arrived at the summit, I could see for miles. The Brisbane City skyline was visible in the near distance, and even Moreton Bay and the ports (if I squinted hard enough). It was very busy at the top; with a wedding party, several cyclists, families and the usual tourist rabble.

I'd finished my water on the climb and felt I deserved a nice, cold, refreshing juice. I was tempted by the icecream when I reached the register and also came away with an Old English Toffee cone. The view was the real treat and I found a great place to sit and watch the sky gradually fade to dusk. 

I didn't want to be walking when it was too dark, so I checked the buses. The last one had left an hour previously, and so I left the view behind and started my descent. I was relieved to find footpaths this time, the Honeyeater and Rose Robin tracks. I felt really adventurous, climbing down through the forests with the birds as a soundtrack.

I found a bus stop off of one of the tracks, with a bus heading straight back into the city. Perfect. I didn't have to wait too long, thank god, it was fully dark now and I didn't fancy getting bitten. It's amazing how quickly it gets dark now it's Autumn.

Back at the hostel, I still had some risotto to eat. By the time I was back at the room it was late, and the beds were all full! I hadn't realised how small the room was when it was just me. With six people plus bags it was now very cosy. It would be a warm night.

~

I had breakfast as usual and went for a little wander along the river. It was so lovely to be able to enjoy the sunshine and the numerous little parks as I walked all the way to Milton. I had originally planned to walk further but it was far too warm.

From Milton I caught the CityCat catamaran. The fares were reduced as it was the weekend, and I could ride up and down the river as I wished. I was worried about how much money was on my GoCard, so I got off at Southbank to top up.

Here, I found the Collective Markets, so naturally I had to have a look around. I was very tempted by 'Fudge Forever', but didn't have $6 to spend on fudge. I did sample most of the flavours though, including a turmeric and a chai. My favourite was 'birthday cake' - it tasted exactly like cake!

Back onto the CityCat, I realised I could have topped up onboard. Ah well. I sat outside and watched the CBD disappear from view as we flew past residential and industrial areas. Daryl had advised me to visit Eat Street, so I got off at North Shore.

I couldn't find the food markets to start with, all I could see was a park and a load of shipping containers on the edge of the river. Turns out Eat Street was in the shipping containers, I headed towards them and found a wonderland of places to eat, drink and sit. It wasn't very busy, and most of the eateries didn't seem to be open. I managed to take a few photos before some official realised I was there and chucked me out. Clearly they weren't ready for customers just yet.

I could see shops in the distance where I could hopefully grab something to eat. Heading there, I found myself at the Cruise Terminal. There was a massive cruise liner ported and passengers checking in. I walked along the river, through all the restaurants and bars, just so I could stare up at it. It was taller than all of the buildings and had me feeling so small. Did make me want to go on a cruise though!

Once I'd stopped gazing at the ship, I spotted a Woolworths. Time for food. I treated myself to some rice crackers, roasted pepper dip, and a banana and oats snack bar. I then made my way to the next CityCat port I could find. I sat and enjoyed my food whilst waiting for the next service.

I decided to get off at Southbank again and sit in the parklands for a while. I had some more crackers and watched the other people sitting and enjoying their Saturday. It was a little clouded over, so not as busy as I had seen it previously. There were still lots of children, and adults, swimming or splashing around in the lagoon. 

In the evening, I enjoyed another stroll through the market. I bought a potato twister, trying it with cheese and bacon flavouring. It was surprisingly delicious, although probably not very healthy. Neither was the icecream I followed it with. Ah well, I'd done lots of walking.

Back at the hostel, I watched A Bug's Life and chatted to my roomies. A Dutch guy called Junior had to buy some groceries, so I accompanied him to Coles. We sat in the kitchen dipping carrot and cucumber in hummus, and I finished the last of my risotto. 

It had been a long week, and yet there was still so much to explore. I could feel myself falling for Brisbane already. A lot of my fellow backpackers deemed it boring, I loved it. There's a great vibe to the city and the perfect climate and scenery allow an alfresco lifestyle.

I was really looking forward to staying and working in the city, with multiple interviews lined up. I also had lots of free activities to try out. The other free fitness classes and swimming at Southbank were on my list, as well as discovering the many other parks, museums, and walks along the Brisbane River.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stop 1: Bangkok

Loka: Stop 7: Magnetic Island

GKR World Cup 8

A Week in Exmouth