Learning Kids Photography: Take One

As of last week, I now work for a travelling photography company. I have relocated to Victoria and am currently training in a shopping centre close to the Great Ocean Road. My primary role is as PR and Photographer's Assistant. Today, I was thrown in at the deep end and taught to shoot children. Photographically, of course.

My first day as a kid's photographer was certainly an experience. I don't think I have ever had to think and react as quickly before. I had so much fun, but boy was it exhausting. There is so much to consider; the lighting, the background, the framing, the angles, the pose, the use of props, the child's safety, the parents. Then you have the different ages, different genders and very different characters. All of which have to be assessed and altered accordingly within seconds.

I felt a lot of pressure and at times I did feel like I was swimming against the tide. My first few "customers" were varied ages, a fair few toddlers and a newborn. I did my best for the parents, and that's all I can do. I may have accidently cut off a few pairs of toes, fingers and tops of heads. Oops. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Children are so responsive and full of so many incredible expressions.. but blink and you miss it. Trying to capture each unique personality at the right moment is difficult but I'm really looking forward to honing my technique. Watch this space...

Meanwhile, I'm still learning how best to PR potential customers. I don't think I'm a pushy person, if they say no then they say no. However, as with most jobs, the customers pay the wages. Gotta keep practicing those ice breakers and cheesy pitches. Whatever works. I'm still trying to find my own style and catchy phrases. I think it will be best to build up a repertoire so at least I'll always have something to say.

This job is a real challenge and I love adding all the funky new skills to my CV. I have been taught a few pretty cool balloon twisting tricks over the last week. I can make dogs, giraffes and swords. Today, I was also shown how to create awesome flower bracelets too. They're all great fun for the kids, and making them also keeps me amused for a good five minutes.

I'm planning on writing/drawing instructions for the photography side of things. I'll keep you posted on how that works out for me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stop 1: Bangkok

Loka: Stop 7: Magnetic Island

GKR World Cup 8

A Week in Exmouth