Goodbye Australia

After the most amazing time exploring Western Australia, it was time to head back to where it all began. I had two days in Sydney before my flight to Auckland, where I would begin a whole new adventure with Ben. This was a very reflective time for me, I walked from Bondi to Coogee again, and loved that I could still find my way around the city too. I spent my last evening sitting by Darling Harbour, my old favourite haunt, and reading my blogs. I had had the most amazing experiences, and couldn't believe it was the end; time sure flies when you're having fun!! 

People always ask me: "what is the best place you have ever visited?"
I honestly find this question so hard to answer, and the more places I visit, the harder it becomes. I can never really have a favourite, because every place is unique and special in its own way, and impossible to compare. 

However, I have decided to list some of my top memories from my 351 days down under - in chronological order of course...

Spot X Surf Camp, New South Wales
23rd - 27th December 2016


Being reunited with my first group of friends at the train station on that very early morning was joyous, and I was so glad that we had all booked to spend Christmas together. It was a very weird time and I didn't feel that Christmassy, what with the blazing sun beating down on us as we attempted to surf the waves. However, I did get to spend my first Christmas away from home with the loveliest group of people, eat amazing food, top up my tan, and learn a new skill (kind of).


Great Ocean Road & Phillip Island, Victoria 
11th & 12th January 2017
This is already cheating a little, as I took two seperate tours on consecutive days, but it was in the same week, so I'm including them as one memory...



The Great Ocean Road was incredible to see, I was so impressed by the sheer number and size of the imposing rock formations. I'd never seen anything like it. I also got to experience my first helicopter ride over the Twelve Apostles, which was amazing! The tour to Phillip Island was also great fun and, being early on in my trip, it was still a novelty to feed the kangaroos and see koalas in the flesh at Maru Koala Park. And then being able to watch as all the adorable little penguins came in from sea, and waddled up the beach home, was a real honour. I loved it!!


Moreton Island, Queensland 
18th April 2017

After living in Brisbane for over three weeks, with the stress of applying for jobs and waiting on interviews, my day trip to Moreton Island couldn't have come at a better time. This was one of the only seemingly random tourist spots that I had actually researched prior to leaving the UK, which made it all the more exciting to visit in real life! As my first sand island and proper snorkelling experience in Oz, it was beyond my expectations. I loved every second. The views were incredible, and I got to kayak, snorkel, and sandboard - all in one day!!



Kakadu & Litchfield National Parks, Northern Territory 
2nd - 4th July 2017


Everything about these stunning National Parks just felt so Australian. From the bright red sand tracks lined with gum trees, to the hidden waterfalls and lakes that came with a croc warning. The views were endless, and the people were just wonderful. I revelled in the camping, hiking, and wild swimming we would enjoy each day. And then of course, there was the added excitement of cruising along the wetlands and actually seeing wild crocodiles up close. I really felt adventurous, and at one with nature!


Uluru & Kata Tjuta, Northern Territory
 9th - 11th July 2017


I wouldn't necessarily consider myself a spiritual person, but something about these incredible places - the dreamtime stories, the size and shapes, the colours, the energy, the culture, the way they rise from nowhere - just took my breath away. I could have happily sat and stared at Uluru for days, and loved being able to hike through, around, and up the imposing rocks of Kata Tjuta.



Fraser Island, Queensland
10th - 12th August 2017


The second sand island on the list, I have such fond memories of the friendships I made during my time driving/being driven in "Keen Car 4" around the amazing landscape. We had such a laugh together, something about sharing a confined space for a few days really bonds you!  I also got to have my first 4x4 sand driving experience to whoops and cheers of encouragement. Add the scenic flight, seeing the island from all angles, it really was a fabulous time.















Magnetic Island, Queensland
20th - 21st August 2017

It's becoming quite obvious that I have a bit of a thing for islands...


Maggie Island with the Loka crew was such a relaxing time, and yet we managed to fit so much in! I think the hostel was possibly one of my favourites ever; Bungalow Bay Koala Village had the cutest huts and, more importantly, koalas, wombats, lizards and snakes next door. I also got to do some serious off-roading (in ridiculously fun "barbie jeeps"), swim in the tropical waters, hand-feed rock wallabies, and go koala spotting. Such fun!


















Great Barrier Reef PADI, Queensland
6th - 9th September 2017

I mean... obviously. I got to learn how to dive at the most famous coral reef in the world!? Incredible. I still cannot believe the beautiful sights that were waiting under the surface; getting a glimpse into that underwater world was everything I had ever wanted, and more. I was also amazed by how quickly I got used to living on a boat, being constantly wet, and having pressure-induced nose bleeds on the regs. I may not have been the best scuba diver, as suggested by mine and Rachel's last dive, but I truly had the best time!! 



Exmouth, Western Australia
20th - 26th October 2017


This was like an ocean playground, with endless fun to be found, from the moment I arrived I was out in the gulf on a whale watching tour, with snorkelling, a turtle watching tour, beach days, and a creek cruise added to the mix. I was able to experience the Cape Range National Park, and the Ningaloo Reef days apart. The Ningaloo was where I had my first dives since qualifying, and I was beyond excited to get back in the water. I also met my future travel buddy, as we began our journey south together. Then there was the hostel pool, that I always made a point of relaxing in or by each day. Bliss.



Rottnest Island, Western Australia
15th November 2017



I completely blew the last of my budget on this crazy day, and I am so so glad that I did. Rottnest was another stunning island, but really I was only there for two things; the skydive, and the quokkas. All year I had been planning to book a skydive, but I always had an inkling that I would drop out... I even surprised myself by going through with it! The quokkas were just the most adorable creatures you could ever hope to meet - there was no way to feel miserable around them, with their little smiles and happy-go-lucky personalities.

 


~

Of course there are so many more amazing memories that I treasure from my time in Australia, and I could happily go on (and on and on and on).

Instead, I will finish by suggesting a trip to my Instagram, where you will find a fair few more of my favourite photos of places, people, tours, and events not yet mentioned, but very much missed....


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stop 1: Bangkok

Loka: Stop 7: Magnetic Island

GKR World Cup 8

A Week in Exmouth