A Day in Canberra

I was so worried that I was going to miss my alarm that I barely slept a wink. I was wide awake from the slightest peak of light or rustle of sound and, with eleven other people in the room, this was a constant occurrence! My bus wasn't even until 9am, hopefully I'd sleep on the way.

I had another panic while waiting to check out.. I thought reception opened at 8am. Only when it got to 8.12 did I realise my mistake. It was a Saturday. Luckily, the lovely guy who had checked me in was spending his morning off in the TV Room. I convinced him he wanted nothing more than to help me out.. It only cost me a smile and I was soon sorted. Phew.

I arrived at the bus terminal 20mins early and was glad to find the coach already there. I checked in with the cheery driver and grabbed myself a seat. Apparently, as it wasn't a full bus, we could sit anywhere we fancied. I had a mini nap before we left, woken by the driver.. just wanting to let me know where the toilet was and that I could charge my phone if I needed to. What a sweetheart.

The journey was quite uneventful, I finished my book, listened to some jazz and, of course, napped. Our driver was very informative, providing a commentary to my staring out of the window. Despite hitting traffic early on near the airport, we made up some time and had arrived by 13.30. My 9ish hours to explore the capital had begun.

First I had the fun task of finding somewhere to store my rucksack for the day. Google had not been very helpful so I headed straight to the Greyhound desk. The lovely man told me there was rumours of the YHA providing storage and gave me directions to find it. It didn't seem too far so I headed off on my merry way.

After deciding halfway that I must be going in the wrong direction and crossing the road back and forth several times, a kind passerby asked me if I was lost. Was it that obvious? Turned out, I was going the right way, just not quite far enough! Once I'd made it, locked away my bag and grabbed a free map, it was time to head out!

I began my walk to Lake Burley Griffin a little unsure. Somehow I had ended up on a cycle path, and was crossing busy roads to head in the right direction. Surely that wasn't right? No one stopped me though, and it got me exactly where I wanted to be! To be honest I had already given up on the map and was just heading for the water feature I could see above the trees.

My method worked, a short walk later, I was on the lake shore staring up at the jet of water blasting to an impressive height. I soon learned that this was part of the Captain Cook Memorial, built to commemorate the bicentenary of his first sighting. From here I had to decided on a route around the artificial lake to reach my next destination.

As I was short on time, I chose the quickest route straight along to Capital Hill. It was a very hot day and I was thankful for the free drinking water along the way. I must have refilled my bottle three times. And of course I had to stop twice to reapply my suncream... but at last I was on the final stretch and following informative signs.

As I walked up Commonwealth Avenue towards Parliament House, I have to say I was impressed. Everyone always writes Canberra off because "it's so boring" or "there's nothing there".  However, for a day trip, it was perfect. The sun was shining from the pools and glass that adorned the entrance. It was so well designed.

Inside was just as impressive, apparently it is one of the most expensive Parliament buildings in the world. It was beautifully decorated with marble and timber. I headed to Queen Elizabeth Terrace, the view was quite something. I could see the path I had taken, followed by Old Parliament House, Lake Burley Griffin and the National War Memorial. All part of the National Triangle and my chosen sights designed in one straight path, simple and yet so effective.

I decided on a late lunch, it was about 3ish by now. I settled myself into the Queen Elizabeth Cafe, feeling very patriotic, and ordered an apple juice and chips. I enjoyed both very much and indulged in some people watching as I ate. I left just before closing time and made my way back out into the searing sunshine.

Although it was designed to run in a straight line, turned out I couldn't just keep walking straight to my next stop. There were several roads in the way. And a lake. I did my best, sticking to as few roads as possible so I wouldn't lose my way. I stopped off at Commonwealth Place, on the shore of the lake. Here is where the 96 flags of the U.N. fly.

Finally, after a meander along Kings Avenue and on the opposite shore, I was facing ANZAC Parade. This was the most somber walk I had made that day. Lined alongside the red gravel were multiple memorials; for Army Nurses, Army, Navy, Marine, all those in the Korean War, Vietnam.. the list goes on. What I found even more heart breaking was the two gaps sitting ready for more.

Once I had made my way up the steps to the entrance I revelled in the beauty of the architecture. I realised I was too late to enter into the Hall of Valour and see the Roll of Honour. Instead, I explored the grounds. The Sculpture Garden was my favourite, with poppies decorating the already poignant statues of soldiers, war dogs and women.

With the day coming to an end, I made my way back to Canberra Centre. On my way I followed the setting sun. Heading to City West Park, I watched as it dipped below the buildings and retraced my steps to find a shopping centre. I hoped to find a Food Court and wasn't disappointed... time for a Cheeky Nandos!

A bit more people watching after my dinner, and a wander around the city centre. It was very well lit, with fairy lights on trees and odd light sculptures scattered around the many restaurants, clubs and bars. I checked I could find the bus station before heading to the YHA to reclaim my rucksack.

I had a thoroughly enjoyable day in the Australian Capital and am glad I made the effort to go. Not only did the trip break up my journey to Melbourne, I feel it was cultural and educational.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stop 1: Bangkok

Loka: Stop 7: Magnetic Island

GKR World Cup 8

A Week in Exmouth