Australia Day

Australia Day
ɒˈstreɪliədeɪ/
noun

a national public holiday in Australia, commemorating the founding on 26 January 1788 of the colony of New South Wales.

             --------------------------------------------

My Australia Day began with a trip to the small village of Sassafras. Daryl, Steffi, Sam and I had planned a brunch and ended up at a favourite of theirs, Miss Marple's Tea Room. We arrived too early, it wasn't open until 11am, so browsed the tea shop next door. Everything seemed very British, ironic seeing what we were celebrating.

The tea room was gorgeous, a cottage with rose bushes and superb decoration -  and that was just the outside! There was also 50s music playing which I obviously had to have a little dance to, to everyone's amusement. We were the second group inside once the doors had opened at exactly 11. The inside was just as pretty, tea pots lined the alcoves and vintage design tablecloths adorned the tables.

Reading through the menu I immediately knew what I wanted. Devonshire scones! We ordered and soon after our tea arrived. A pot of Yorkshire Gold with a cup and saucer, and extra hot water. Perfect. By now the place was packed, and they'd only been open 10mins!

Our food finally arrived and I was shocked. These scones were square. They looked more like a slice of cake than a scone. It's safe to say I was a little sceptical, but as I cut into my first it did seem to be the right texture and consistency. Hmmm. Time for jam and cream. I piled it all on and braced myself... delicious! Phew.

I had ordered one sultana and one plain scone, but they were so large I actually cut them down to have smaller portions. I probably had about ten scones in the end. That should keep me going for a while. I felt like a pig next to the others though, they shared a quiche lorraine and two scones between them.

Once I'd paid it was time to head to the station and day goodbye. We arrived at Ringwood, after a karaoke session in the car, and had to do a loo stop.. we'd all drank too much tea! As I was off into the city, and the gang were heading to the coast for the weekend, we weren't going to see each other again before I left. So sad. They have all been so wonderful to me over the last two weeks and I'm going to miss them very much.

On the train I distracted myself by applying temporary tattoos to my legs. I must have looked a right idiot, sitting on my own with bits of paper stuck to my body. Ah well. I had to make an effort for going into the city. We had already seen images of full body suits with the flag on, and faces painted bright blue. STRAYA!

As I got into Flinders Street I finally saw some other people with tattoos. Phew. Out in the fresh air, I was glad to see the sun was coming out! I decided to skim the tram and walk to my next destination. Governor House was having an Open Day, with tours and entertainment. As I rounded the corner to the entrance all I could see was a long queue. Turns out it was just for a bag search that was taking the time. They were very good, handing out flags, brochures suncream while we waited.

Finally inside I followed the crowds through the grounds. The queue for a tour  was longer than the one I'd just left! Decided to give it a miss. I sat on the grass for a while people watching and catching some rays. A band walked past me and so I followed to watch them play. I love it when brass bands do songs you recognise. I had a little dance to Jackson 5 and Status Quo. I then watched a school drum choir, who were very good, before taking my leave.

I was intrigued by the vehicles I could see along Kings Domain so headed that way. There was a vintage car parade. The cars were incredible! All had obviously been so well looked after, they were in pristine condition. I got a little too excited when I saw a split-screen VW Campervan. In a stunning matt grey. Gorgeous!

I wandered around the other stalls that had been set up in the gardens. To be honest, I was mainly looking for freebies. I didn't find any. There were lots of activities for kids though, which I always think is good. It was so warm now I'd drank a whole bottle of water. Time to find somewhere to nip to toilet and relax for a bit.

I ended up at the National Gallery, it's becoming one of my favourite places. Out in the courtyard I couldn't resist having a wee lie down on a big comfy cushion thing. I applied some sun cream, and a few more tattoos. It was set to be a late night so it was only right that I enjoy a little nap.

I was meeting Jen and Dan at 5 o'clock at the Docklands and so at 4.30, I left the gallery. I started to walk but then remembered just how far it was. It was a bit too warm and I'd left it a bit late, hopped on a tram instead. I didn't arrive until 5.10 and was worried when I couldn't see the guys. Then I realised we hadn't actually set a meeting place. Oops.

I wandered up and down the esplanade a few times but couldn't see them. I was excited for dinner later though, there was a wide variety of food trucks each with a mouth watering menu. Still no sightings of Jen and Dan, maybe I'd be alone tonight. Unfortunately, the only way we could communicate was if they had found Wi-Fi. By some miracle I received a message, they'd be 10 more minutes, the tram had been delayed. Woo!

The guys finally arrived and we were ready to explore. The event officially opened at 6 o'clock, just as we were walking past Central Pier. Perfect timing. We decided to see what was on offer in there, he bouncers at the gate made it seem exciting. Stopped at the bar first, I grabbed myself some free water and the guys had a pint each. I then convinced them to get some tattoos and added a few more to my collection. I now had 'AUSTRALIA' with a flag on my right thigh, 'AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE' on my left arm, a flag on my right hand and 'Australia' with a kangaroo on my face.

Once we'd finished our drinks are were sufficiently decorated, we walked further down the pier. There was a DJ pumping out some tunes on the top of a bar.. but that was it. Gates blocked off the rest of the pier. We tried to sneak past and then had to do the innocent foreigner act when we got caught. Back outside it was.

I was beginning to get a bit peckish as we browsed the food trucks. After seeing all that was on offer I wanted a burger. We landed at a bright green truck offering burgers, wraps and hot dogs. I had a chicken schnitzel burger and chips, Dan had a lamb wrap and Jen had a hot dog. My burger was delicious! The others were still hungry so headed to German Sausages where they both got a hot dog (Jen's was a bit pathetic earlier).

With the savouries out of the way, we had another little wander up and down before deciding we needed dessert. We chose Lukumades who sold Greek doughnuts. We were in the queue for about 20mins so I was really hoping they were good. I ordered a Twix Fix, doughnuts with chocolate and caramel sauce and biscuit shavings. My god the wait was worth it.. They were absolutely scrumptious!!

We had some time to kill now until the fireworks. First we went to see if the 'club' area had livened up at all, no luck there. Instead we went for another quick wander alongside the dock and found a pub to sit in and wait. It was beginning to get a bit chilly and the guys didn't have any warm clothes. I ordered a pint of water and ice and we waited.

At 10 o'clock we went outside to grab a patch of grass. It was suddenly a hive of activity! Where did all the people come from? We still managed to find a spot quite easily and got ready to 'ooh' and 'aah'. The firework display started at 10.15 and was very good. The colours were all very bright and there were a few very clever combinations. There was even music and the timing was spot on. These guys certainly know how to do their pyrotechnics!

Time to make my way home now, first saying goodbye to Jen and Dan. I caught the train from Southern Cross to Box Hill. Unfortunately, our carriage and some drunk teenagers, they were harmless but very loud! No napping for me.

After some slight confusion over buses and a very helpful police officer, I finally made it home just before 1am.

🎉 HAPPY AUSTRALIA DAY 🎉

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stop 1: Bangkok

Loka: Stop 7: Magnetic Island

GKR World Cup 8

A Week in Exmouth