Loka: Stop 6: Airlie Beach

Despite telling myself it was a really bad idea and that I should sleep instead, I watched Jurrasic World on the train. I hadn't considered the fact that it was a good 2hrs long, meaning I didn't fall asleep until about 2am. Genius. We arrived at Poserpine train station just before 6am and shuffled out onto the platform as quickly as sleep deprived people can. Our transfer was waiting for us, a bright and cheerful guy. I sunk into one of the seats and was asleep almost immediately.
We pulled up opposite Base Airlie Beach about 7ish. Obviously I was way too early to check-in to my room. Luckily, Loka had a permanent dorm on site and TK offered me a bed. We'd decided we really needed to catch up on sleep before we faced the day. With my bag in storage, it was nap time. I fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow. I woke up about 4hrs later, feeling refreshed. My first thought was "I'm dying for a cuppa", TK obviously thought the same and on went the kettle. With my morning brew finished, I now felt even more awake and ready for the day.
First things first, I had to check-in at Expore Whitsundays for my boat trip the following day. Walking along the strip, I already liked Airlie. It was so relaxed. There were the usual tourist shops, multiple watering holes and travel agents, but the hustle and bustle was missing. Maybe this was because it was still early, and technically winter. I enjoyed the calming stroll either way. There were a few other people checking in at the same time as me, I wondered if we would be on the same boat. The company owned about ten different vessels, from catamarans to sailing boats and pirate ships, so I doubted it. I was really looking forward to my three days on board PowerPlay.
I took my paperwork back to the hostel, grabbed some water and changed my shoes, we were off on a hike. Getting to the start of the Great Whitsunday Walk was a challenge in itself. We had to climb up the steepest residential street I have ever seen. It was practically vertical. I was pooped before we'd even started our ascent to the Honeyeater Lookout. I was sweating already. I had my backpack on, purely because I had wanted to bring my camera, water and suncream. These were all essentials but boy were they weighing me down. I was beginning to debate if I could leave anything behind.
It was eerily quiet as we started to climb our way up the track. It felt like we were the only two people for miles. The dense forest and splatters of sunlight added to the effect. As always, I struggled on the up, caught up on any flat, and excelled on the (few) downs. I didn't feel as bad when I learnt that TK goes on walking holidays on the regular. As in, he'll go out into the bush for a week with nothing but a tent, a knife and a water bottle. For him, this was just a walk in the park. For me, it was pretty much a relentless uphill climb. I was dripping sweat, I was chaffing, and I was barely keeping up. It was a good job it was just the two of us.
Every now and then there would be a rustle in the trees, the crack of a twig or something in the corner of my eye. After stopping to look a few times, I quickly got bored. It was always a turkey. Apparently, wild pigs, snakes and other reptiles lived in the area. Did we ever see these? No. It was always bloody turkeys. I was getting fed up of them to be honest. I wanted the excitement of a snake, or at least a lizard, to distract me from the hike.
The last few metres to the top was a breeze, I could smell the end! The Honeyeater Lookout really was amazing, a 300° panoramic view is always worth it. From our spot high above the trees, I could see below to the tiny houses, cars and pools in Cannock and beyond to the blue sparkle of the sea. We stayed long enough for me to catch my breath and have a few photos. With the back sweat only just dry, it was time to put my bag back on and start the descent. This was easier going, with the exception of a few steep inclines. Back on tarmac, I was on a high. I was so happy I'd dragged myself up there, the sense of achievement was immense.
I was finally able to check-in once we'd arrived at the hostel. The rooms here were certainly different, there were several "houses" dotted around a pool/garden area. Each house had four dorms, each with a bathroom and kitchen area (lacking any appliances), mine also only had one other person in. I collected my possessions from the baggage storage and organised myself. It was too nice a day to stay inside too long, so I headed for the beach.
The strip was a lot busier now, as I meandered along down to the waterfront. Airlie had been badly hit by Cyclone Debbie. A lot of the buildings were damaged, Nomads reception was destroyed among many others. You could also see the impact on the shore. The lagoon was being rebuilt, so there was currently no swimming opportunities. Luckily, the natural beauty of the area was not affected, and the sunset was still stunning.
I headed back to the hostel to pack properly and then decided to visit TK. Not only did he have some of my belongings still in his room, but the guy in mine didn't talk and I was bored. My impeccable timing meant I was not only offered a cuppa, but a cheese and bean toastie too! I graciously accepted both and we people-watched on his porch. Glorious. Poppy was staying at Base too, I had bumped into her briefly and we'd agreed to organise dinner. I ate another toastie and bid farewell to TK. He was off on a 4am train in the morning, something I had to look forward to.
Poppy and I decided to treat ourselves and go out for dinner, to the Indian restaurant down the road. This would be the first proper curry I had eaten since leaving the UK and I had high hopes. We sat at a table for two like a little date and ordered; tikka for her, butter chicken for me, a naan each and rice to share. It was delicious. We both had to take a break about halfway through just to rest and readjust, there was no way I was leaving any of that scrummy food. I would eat it all even if it took all night. Fortunately, for everyone, it didn't take long to clear our plates. We were so full and it felt so good.
We took a slow walk back to the hostel and had a quick chat in my room. We were both off on different boats in the morning, but there was a small chance we'd bump into each other. I had a quick shower and climbed into bed. At least I could have a nice lie in, I didn't need to be at the wharf until 11am. Whether I would still be up at the crack of dawn was another question.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stop 1: Bangkok

Loka: Stop 7: Magnetic Island

GKR World Cup 8

A Week in Exmouth