PowerPlay: Whitsundays Experience

I walked down to the marina much earlier than I needed to. I had left my luggage at Base and got bored waiting around. The sun was warm, but there was a nice breeze, meaning a lovely walk. I met a sweet elderly couple from Kettering in the camera store and ended up chatting for a good while. The marina was buzzing with people, and I loved speculating over the prices of boats and who the owners were. There were small fishing boats, motor boats and jet skis, to medium catamarans, sailing catamarans and sailing boats, I even spotted larger vessels, looking like they belonged to the elite upper class! Fascinating stuff. It really was a whole other world.

The group around me began to grow, as we all stared at our home for the next few nights, PowerPlay, and wondered when we would be allowed on board. Finally, two of the crew came to meet us and we reconvened on the bridge. Here, we had to double check our paperwork and take our shoes off. The lady at the town office had told me I wouldn't need flip flops, only shoes. However, I seemed to be one of the only ones wearing proper trainers, and Goldie (one of our hosts) explained that shoes were only for walking to the beach later on in the trip. I still felt silly putting my massive trainers in the bag with the others' flip flops and sandals. I could just hope that I wouldn't get too much sand in them! I'm sure I could have walked in flip flops.

Barefoot, we all climbed aboard PowerPlay. There was only eighteen of us, but it still felt like a squeeze as we all found a seat in the main cabin. I was so happy to see wraps on the table, chicken and salad varieties. I was one of the first to grab one. We then met our crew; Goldie and Z were our hosts and Tom was the skipper. A safety briefing followed and we were warned of forfeits that had to be taken if we didn't follow the rules. Goldie mentioned teaspoons of vegemite or cinnamon... none of us wanted that! As we set sail out into the ocean, we were to relax at the front of the boat and wait for our bed allocation.

There were four couples on the boat, Italian, French, German and English. We then had two German girls, and two sets of English girls travelling together. This left four of us solo travellers; an Irish lad, and three girls: an American, a Dane, and me. Naturally, the couples got their own "cabins" with a double bed. Laurie and Danielle and the two Germans also had a double. The rest of us were to sleep in the main cabin area, like a sleepover. The beds actually looked super comfortable, and we had windows to look up at the stars at night. I reckon we were better off!

Over the next few hours we mainly chilled and chatted, sunning ourselves. I was so comfortable and relaxed that I even managed a nap at one point! This was the life. The sea was so calm I barely registered that I was on a catamaran. I had been worried I was going to be sea sick, so this was a relief. Everyone on the boat was lovely, there was an influx of Europeans - in fact, only three out of twenty-one were from elsewhere. I love hearing people's travel stories and they always seem more relatable when people have journeyed from our side of the world.

We arrived at our first snorkel spot and were given a quick briefing. We all had to wear "stinger suits" to protect against jellyfish. There used to be seasons, but global warming and warmer currents along this stretch of coast meant they could now be present any time of year. We all looked super sexy, wiggling and jiggling into our wetsuits, helping each other with the zipping. I was so glad I didn't put mine on back-to-front, Robbie was the first (and last) of us to make that mistake! Some of the guys hadn't been snorkelling before, Nikki was very nervous so I agreed to slip in to the water with her. Once in the water, she was absolutely fine. Robbie was a "terrible swimmer", but was out there longer than all of us. The water was much warmer than I had expected, but the clarity wasn't great. I did see lots of different fish and coral though, the colours were dull, but still beautiful.

Peeling the wet suit off was not one of my favourite experiences. With it tied to the boat railings, I found myself a spot at the front and dried off in the sunshine. I felt so relaxed. After an hour or so it began to get a bit chilly, the sun dipped in the sky and we were treated to sunset snacks. We had a very healthy selection to choose from, with carrot and celery sticks, crackers, and dips. I was straight in there, can't go wrong with absentmindedly eating while watching the setting sun. The colours were stunning, and somehow being on a boat just automatically improves sunsets. Maybe it's the span of the horizon, the seemingly never-ending body of water, or the reflections created.

Tom had used the last of the sunlight to moor us in the perfect spot, off of Whitsunday Island. We were near the Northern Beach, ready to make our way over to Whitehaven in the morning. Now we were stationary, the hot tub could be filled. We were rather excited about this. Nikki, Alice, Kamilla, Nicole, Robbie and myself all stuck our feet in before it was even full. I had never felt so sophisticated: relaxing in a hot tub, on a catamaran, in the Whitsundays, with food being prepared for me. This was luxury!

Dinner was barbequed chicken drummers, salad, pasta salad, mash, and potato bake. It was all delicious, and of course I simply had to have seconds. There was so much food, but Blondie said we were one of the first groups she'd hosted that had pretty much finished every dish. While her and Zed washed up, another luxury, we munched on Danish pastries and Tom showed us a map of the route we had taken that day. He was so laid back and chill with it all, we couldn't stop giggling. I feel like nothing would faze him, a fine quality in a skipper.

It was then back to the hot tub, with most of us trying to get some part of our bodies in the perfectly warm water. Goldie had put the kettle on for us Brits and Hannah very nicely made me a cuppa. Tom then put the jets on and the tub filled with bubbles. Now this really was the life, enjoying a Tetley tea, looking up at the stars and reclining (as much as physically possible) in the hot tub. It was the perfect end to the day, and with our cabin transformed for us, it was time for bed.

~

Goldie woke us up at 6.15 with jazzy music filling the cabin. I was one of the first to be dressed and ready, changing into shorts and chucking a jumper over my pj top. I grabbed my camera and climbed into "mini PowerPlay" and Tom jetted us over to the beach. The sunrise was stunning. I loved sinking my toes into the soft sand as I watched the pastel colours brighten in the sky, the sun illuminating the paradise around us. We were the only people on the beach, enabling us to take countless photos and enjoy the views without any hustle and bustle.

Back on board the boat, the crew had been busy whipping up an amazing breakfast. We were treated to bacon, scrambled egg, muffins, fruit, cereals, tea, coffee.. It was all there. I enjoyed a bacon muffin and even tried the egg. It was the breakfast of kings, and just what I needed to kick-start my day. As Z washed up and Goldie cleared things away, we had time to pack our bags for a morning on Whitehaven. There was the opportunity to swim in the crystal waters so stinger suits had to be stuffed into bags, along with suncream, cameras, and plenty of water. The shoe bag was also brought out of storage, and I reluctantly grabbed my walking trainers.

Tom took us over to the island and those of us that needed to slipped our shoes on. We were walking up to the Hill Inlet Lookout first, where a world famous view awaited us. I couldn't believe that I would soon get to see it with my own eyes, and not just on my Instagram feed. The walk took us inland, on a dirt track through the forests. Nikki, Alice and myself couldn't miss the only chance to pop to the toilet. We were surprised with a humongous golden orb spider, sitting in her impressive web strung between two posts. Rushing back to the group, we told everyone and some went to see for themselves. No thank you. I wouldn't be making a return journey.

Reaching the lookout, I wasn't disappointed. Oh my. It was simply magical. I couldn't believe that it was real, I felt like I'd stepped into a painting. The sea was the brightest turquoise I had ever seen, contrasting with the blue of the deeper water, and the whitest sand. The effect was stunning. It reminded me of a swirly raspberry ripple, or a marble cake, where the colours combined beautifully. We were all equally amazed, staring in awe and snapping so many photos to try and capture the incredible watercolour that lay beneath us. I knew that no matter how good my camera was, it just wouldn't look the same through a screen. We all posed for a group photo, with the best backdrop yet, and moved to the next platform. This was higher, giving us a better view of the beach below. The sand was like snow, with the calm water gently lapping at the feet of a few tourists that had already headed to the beach. It was now our turn to join them.

Getting down to the beach was easy, we were all so excited we were practically skipping down the hill. Finally, our feet touched the soft, silica sand and the shoes came right off. We wandered up the beach, finding a spot for us all to dump our bags. No sooner had my bag touched the ground than my shorts were off, my camera was out and I was ready to explore. While the others sunbathed, a few of us walked towards the shallow waters seeping into the sand. The tide was going out and the scene around us was ever changing along with the depths of the water. Only Nikki was wearing her stinger suit, so we couldn't go too far in. I braved wading ankle deep, the water was the perfect temperature - even in "winter"! Thanks to the crystal clear waters, Robbie spotted a group of manta rays, gliding along the sand. I had never been so close, we wanted to get even closer so rushed back to grab our suits and more people.

Suited up, I knelt down in the water and slowly edged closer to the beautiful creatures swimming around us. I so badly wanted to get a photo, but I didn't want to frighten them. I couldn't believe my luck when one swam right past, and I managed to get him on camera. I never thought I would be swimming with rays on this trip, I felt so lucky! We left our new friends behind as we meandered back to the bags. I wanted to dry off a little before we headed back to the boat. I draped my stinger suit over some drift wood and collapsed onto the sand. I felt so relaxed I was surprised I didn't fall asleep.

All too soon, Tom arrived and we had to collect our belongings and be ready to leave paradise. I deliberately took forever to stuff my things into my bag, just so I could stay longer. While mini PowerPlay took the first group back, me and Robbie headed into the water. We were crazy dare devils - we didn't even have our suits on! The water was just too inviting not to. And, luckily, neither of us were stung. Tom quickly returned for us and we were welcomed back on to the boat with a buffet lunch. I just couldn't get over the quality of food - It was unbelievable!

Full of the delicious food, another sunbathing session was in order. We all chilled at the front, enjoying the scenery as we sailed away from Whitehaven, and Whitsunday Island itself. We were heading for another snorkelling site that was only accessible in certain weather. Fortunately, it was perfect conditions, and as Tom moored off the coast of Hook Island, we all prepped to visit the reef. Apparently, this was one of our best chances to see turtles and we were all very excited. There was one other boat in the area when we arrived, and one just leaving. I was glad it wouldn't be too crowded down there, didn't want the turtles being scared off! We slid in the water as soon as possible. The visibility here was much better than our last site, and it didn't seem as damaged. I was amazed to see two turtles, and lots of fish, hidden amongst the coral. One of the turtles swam so close I could have touched him. It was amazing and I could have stayed with my turtle friends forever. It was a popular place though, just as we were ferried back to the boat, two more arrived. I had been so impressed with Tom's timing, he got us to places before the crowds.

Staying around the island, we moved a little further north to try our hand at a few different activities. Nicole and Robbie had another snorkel session while the rest of us opted for stand-up paddle boards and kayaks. I was desperate to try SUP, I'd seen so many people conquering it on my way up the coast. I was a bit concerned that I wouldn't have the best balance. The boards were longer than surf boards, but a similar shape, with rudders on the bottom, and a paddle. It was pretty self explanatory - stand up and paddle around the water. We had stopped in a cove so the water was quite calm. Connor and Hannah had done it before, so we let them go first. Then Kamilla and Nikki gave it a go. They were both surprisingly good, beginner's luck maybe. Once Connor had returned, I took the paddle and prepared to humiliate myself. No-one else had fallen yet.

I shuffled to the corner of the boat and climbed down on to the steps, the board was tied on so at least it wasn't going anywhere. Down on my knees, I crawled to the centre of the board and twisted to untie it. This was difficult already, and I hadn't even moved. With my paddle safely on board with me, I tried to stand. It was all a bit too quick and I felt the board wobble, I'd barely risen from my seated position! I decided I would paddle out a bit more first, and aimed to reach Nikki. I had to stand up, everyone else has managed it, it wasn't called "sit down paddle boarding". Eventually, I managed to get one foot on the board. It was the second I was struggling with..  holding my paddle out in front to help with my balance, I went for it. Turns out, quicker was better and, low and behold, I was standing! How exciting. Now, I could paddle to my heart's content. We were determined to reach the small beach, it was probably less than a kilometre away but it felt like a lifetime. We did it, touching our feet on the sand before heading back. I was taking it all in my stride now, and stood straight up. My confidence evaporated as I spotted Tom and another tour guide begin to circle us with their motor dinghys. Nikki was targeted first, she held her balance well, but soon fell in. I saw them heading for me next and braced myself in a squat position. The waves rippled around me and I knew I wouldn't last, I took the graceful way out and jumped. Dammit. Now I had the difficult task of getting back on the board, this was nowhere near as graceful.  I struggled on up and paddled the last stretch to the boat. Now I had to climb back up the step too, something I still hadn't grasped.

With everyone back on board, we were treated to nachos. They were just what I needed, I quickly hung up my suit and dried off so I could tuck in. We all finished the two large trays within minutes. It was nearly time for sunset, but first we had about an hour left of sunlight to chillax. We moved to our final spot of the trip, and where we would be staying for the night. The sunset was stunning, and we made the most of the "golden hour" by snapping a few group photos. Kamilla then started something by posing with a heart shape around the setting sun. We all wanted in on this, and started an impromptu photo shoot - having to work quickly as the sun dipped in the sky.

Dinner was steaks and snags, with salad, potatoes, and stir-fried cinnamon carrot (an experiment of Goldies that was surprisingly good). I was so full, but in the best way. I was over the moon to see Tom pull out a white chocolate mud cake as he talked us through the journey that day. I had a cuppa and a slice of cake, he could have been talking about statistics and I'd have been happy. As it was, he was the funniest person to listen to. Not because he was funny, he was just so relaxed that he kept forgetting what he was saying and what he had to tell us.

As it was our last night on board, Goldie suggested a game of Jenga. We were all up for it, and crowded around the small table at the back of the boat to play. This was no ordinary game, there were forfeits. The most hilarious ones being "stand on your chair for the rest of the game" and "ninja", which we decided was making ninja noises whenever anyone touched a brick. Cue mayhem and hysterical laughter. Whoever lost the game also had to indulge in a spoonful of cinnamon. I was so glad it wasn't me; Laurie, Z and Kamilla all had the honour.

The couples all retired to bed, and it was the rest of us Brits (plus Nicole, Kamilla and Z) left. We chatted for ages, and had a game or two of "Never Have I Ever" and "Would You Rather". It was hilarious. The others were drinking so were very forthcoming, sharing embarrassing secrets. I just had tea. Time was slipping away, it was the end of our second day on board! We had another early morning, so couldn't stay up too late. I gazed up at the stars through the little window above my head and drifted off to sleep.

~

I had forgotten to set an alarm, but woke up early anyway. I was one of the first awake in the cabin, so packed my bag away quietly and got ready for the day. I stripped my bed, as requested by Goldie the day before, and made sure I had all my belongings. Once everyone was awake, Tom reminded us that we had the opportunity to snorkel. It was a little early for me, the water would be freezing! A few of the others were feeling a little tender so none of us fancied it.

Instead we tucked into our breakfasts on a considerably rockier boat. We were still anchored at this point, but it was difficult to walk in a straight line. I had a few things tied to the railings that I would have to pack before we moved off - the wind was so strong I didn't know if they'd make it! I quickly brushed my teeth and felt the boat start to move. I rushed outside and saw that my bikini was still hanging on, but my Mojosurf singlet was nowhere to be seen. It hadn't been tied on. Oh well. Maybe it would wash up on an island somewhere in years to come.

We then had to fill out feedback forms, I scribbled lots of smiley faces on mine. It really had been an amazing trip. With paperwork out of the way, we had no plans until we returned to Airlie. I sat up at the front of the boat, feeling a little rough. The waves were really something now and the boat was rocking from side to side. I tried to focus on the horizon as I'd been taught to. I could feel the waves in my stomach, my head was starting to hurt and I felt sweaty. I moved to the back of the boat to sit down properly. This didn't help, and I was soon vomiting over the side of the boat. I felt terrible, and probably looked it too. I had remnants of sick on my jumper, my hair was stuck to my face and I was clammy as hell. Goldie had told us before that it was best to stay outside when feeling sick, but now I really needed the toilet. She was right, it was worse. I threw up again and again and just couldn't leave the confines of the pod bathroom. I knew I had to. I had no point of reference in there and it was messing with my brain, my balance, and my stomach.

I finally emerged and gulped down some water, standing at the back of the boat and clinging to the rails. I felt a little better. The waves were now higher than the boat. I was staring at them in awe when one crashed right over the boat and drenched me. I laughed in shock, this had actually made me feel so much better! I stayed in my spot, being splashed every now and then, keeping the sickness at bay. I finally began to see land, and relaxed. Goldie appeared by my side, checking I was okay and giving me ginger to chew on. It was disgusting, but it was meant to help.

We had made it to the marina! Once we were moored, I could laugh about my sudden sea sickness. Now I knew I'd just have to splash myself with water if it ever happened again. We were all covered in sea salt from the crashing waves, I had the white crystals in my hair, clinging to my eyelashes, over my bikini. All I wanted now was a shower. We collected our belongings and said a massive thank you to the guys. They had been awesome, really making the trip. We walked to town together, hoping we could check-in to the hostel early. We'd barely made it 5mins when I realised I'd left my towel on board. Alice accompanied me back to the boat, where they were preparing for another trip. Luckily, my towel was still there, sitting on the table where I'd left it.

We met the others in town, where they had been unable to check in. We dropped our bags off in the luggage room, and I grabbed my flip flops. We were all a little wobbly on land, our legs seem to have forgotten how to walk. A bunch of us (Robbie, Connor, Hannah, Nicole, Kamilla, Alice, Nikki, Laurie, Dani, and me) decided to go for brunch. We found a lovely cafe and ordered. I needed something salty, and was surprisingly hungry, so opted for chips and a cuppa. Sitting down seemed to help the land sickness. The issue was when we got up to pay. Oh my god, I haven't had a hangover in years but this was worse. I could barely stand straight, I kept swaying from side to side. I was so glad all of us were affected and could laugh about it!

Still unable to check-in, we wandered on down to the beach. It felt great to flop onto the sand and chat about our endeavours over the last few days. Nikki, Alice and I then headed to the market to have a little meander. It was becoming easier and easier to walk properly now, although I was still swaying whenever I stood still. We eventually headed back to the hostel and joined the queue for check-in. I grabbed my room key, fetched my belongings and practically ran to get to the shower. Washing out all the salt was top of the agenda, before packing my bag.

I was so happy to spot Robyn, Lauren and Poppy by the pool. We had a good catch up, before I had to get ready for dinner. We were meeting at a grill house, to try some real Aussie meats. The guys all ordered crocodile and kangaroo platters. It was a little expensive for me, so I ended up with a burger. It was massive, so were the others' fillets and steaks. Nikki very kindly let me try some of hers. The kangaroo tasted like a very rich beef, but with a strange tang. I actually preferred the crocodile, it reminded me of tuna mixed with chicken and pork. I can finally say I have eaten Aussie tucker.

A night out on the town followed, and I met up with the Fraser girls too. I had a train to catch at 4am, so didn't go too crazy. And by that I mean I was in bed by 10pm. It had been an incredible weekend with the best sights and amazing people. I had seen and experienced things I had only ever dreamed about. And if that's not what travelling is about, then I don't know what is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stop 1: Bangkok

Loka: Stop 7: Magnetic Island

GKR World Cup 8

A Week in Exmouth