Day 1

I know today may technically be "Day 2" but travelling all day through different time zones is confusing! So, as this is the first time since that I've had the chance to sit down and blog, we'll call it "Day 1".

The flights over here were fine, on the flight to Vienna I managed to get extra legroom with my seat (win). And then on our second leg I watched four different films and slept quite a bit, skipping most of the plane food. As I didn't have a window seat I missed out on my favourite past time, watching clouds. Maybe on the way back...

Once we arrived in Tokyo and were through customs, we queued to get our luggage, everyone and anyone grabbing blue bags. Mine was off quite quickly but I waited for Gemma.

We then queued again (so British) to catch our transfer coach to the hotel. Walking out of the airport, the heat hit me. Even though it was spitting slightly, the humidity is a bugger and I could feel myself sweating. Cool kids that we are, we grabbed the back seats of the coach with other East Midlanders. I soon fell asleep and before I knew it, we had arrived at the Shingawa Prince Hotel.

We then checked in and dumped our bags in a humungous luggage room saved just for us. There are so many IST here I feel sorry for the other guests! Once we'd changed into something more comfortable, we headed out with Darren, Phil, Mike and another guy I didn't quite catch the name of.

Navigating the tube system was interesting to say the least, even though we'd been told it was easy we still managed to go several stops in the complete wrong direction! We finally made the route to the earthquake centre. I hadn't signed up for this, and neither had Gemma, but we tagged along for the fun. We found a nice cafe to eat in and I ordered toast with cheese.

Once we'd paid, me and Gemma headed to the centre with Darren to see if they had any spare spaces available. They didn't so we made our way back to the hotel to collect our room key and freshen up. Our meal at the Sumo Restaurant was scheduled for 7pm so we had a little break before we had to rush off. We weren't too sure what time we were all meeting, but met Dylan in the elevators so followed him down to the crowd.

What a palava, having pretty much just completed the opposite journey with Gemma, I thought we knew where to go. How wrong we were!! We got to the right platform in the end and ended at the right station.

Finding the Sumo Restaurant was a different story, all we had to go on was a small picture and that it was "around the corner from the station".  Luckily, a local took pity on us and lead us around several streets.. turns out we came out the wrong end of the station!

Inside, we sat in tables of six around a ring in the middle. We shared a table with four Scouts from Cumbria who were all very nice. We had a laugh guessing what all the ingredients in our dinner were - we had to cook it ourselves you see.

The MC had moved from America to train with the Sumo Wrestlers there. He told us we had to eat every last grain of rice so as not to upset the Gods and the farmers. I tried my best but by now I was full and so so tired.

We had one last treat in store though, as two professional Sumo Wrestlers demonstrated a few of their moves. It was very impressive, but I was warm and couldn't concentrate so kept drifting in and out of sleep. Gemma was laughing because I had to keep checking if I was dreaming things. 

When volunteers were asked for I perked right up, this would be good... first was a larger fellow who got his wrestler out by lifting his belt (the big nappy thong). Classic.
Next was a weedy bloke, we all thought he didn't stand a chance. To everyone's great surprise, he managed to push his wrestler out.
Scouting 2 Sumos 0 :D

Leaving the restaurant we all made our way back to the hotel. Thankfully, we managed it first time round! The oldies (myself included) somehow got split from the youngsters.. but I'm sure they managed just as admirably.

It's now 22.31 and I am finally ready to sleep in a proper bed ready for another jam - packed day tomorrow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stop 1: Bangkok

Loka: Stop 7: Magnetic Island

GKR World Cup 8

A Week in Exmouth