Day 5

Did wake to the pitter patter of rain this morning, but didn't get up. It was quite a nice sound actually and reminded me of home! At 4ish I looked outside my pod to see my flip flops floating in our porch. I went back to sleep.
 
Decided to wake up and assess the damage about 6ish, it was still raining and we appeared to be living on a soggy beach. My toes sunk into to the sand as I walked to the showers. I gave up on the flip flops quite quickly, didn't fancy splash marks up my freshly showered legs!
 
As we didn't have our trial until 1 o'clock, after breakfast I decided to head out and about. I was quite impressed with the food this morning actually, bacon and bread and salad and cereal. I ate it all for once!
 
Myself, Darren, Fiona and Lewis walked and walked and walked... all around the campsite up to the different subcamps and back down. It was just the right temperature, and in my infinite wisdom I bought a bag of ice (!!) to split between our water bottles.
 
We started to head back through the different zones to collect our chairs and roll mats from the crates. Turns out, the lovely inflatable roll mat I was given was bought in a panic when the containers were delayed. The actual roll mats are thin as anything, so I'm quite chuffed with mine!!
 
We ate our lunch in front of the dome, making use of our lovely new chairs. About quarter to one I headed over to the shop to start "work". There was already loads of us there waiting for instructions. We waited quite a while to be honest.
 
First, when one of our "team leaders" arrived, we were moved into the shade by the swimming pool. She then told us all that we'd been told yesterday, apart from that we couldn't trial the shop because it wasn't ready. We then offered to help but weren't understood, so she told us to relax while they waited for someone higher who spoke better English.
 
In the end, it transcended that they would love our help, but only from men. Women were not to work on the shopfloor, they could be cashiers only. This was slightly confusing to us, and some weren't happy. As far as I'm concerned, they're the hosts and if that's how they work then that's how we'll work!
 
After another twenty minutes of confusion, and us moving back towards the shop again, me, Rebecca, Becky and Eve left them to it. It was still quite warm out, but at least we'd missed the midday sun. Still, we headed for the shade and sat and talked in the canteen. We whiled away the time by walking to the beach, it wasn't as busy as I expected considering the weather. As I had by phone with me this time, I wandered up the wall to look across. It's great to be near so many mountains, and turn around and see the sea!!
 
After a little nap in the sun (covered head to toe in suncream of course), we went for dinner. We were quite early so were one of the first in the queue. It was easily the best yet, sautéed pork and rice with onion soup. So good! I think today is the first I've cleared the plate for every meal.
 
We all parted ways and headed back to our tents. Alix was just getting ready to shower, she was meeting scottish Chris to head to Movie Night. I was planning on going too - didnt want to miss Back to the Future - so I waited for the two of them. We were told the film was being shown in the dome, so got snacks from the supermarket and headed over. Turns out it wasn't in the dome at all, but a fifteen minute walk away near Jamboree HQ. We were already late, but actually made it just in time.
 
After a group photo and a selfie, we left HQ and headed back. I reorganised my pigsty of a pod and fot my bits ready for the morning. Another early night for me, I have my first proper day at work tomorrow. It will be very interesting I'm sure, especially as none of us know what we're doing....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stop 1: Bangkok

Loka: Stop 7: Magnetic Island

GKR World Cup 8

A Week in Exmouth