Day 3

It was a 5am start this morning, that soon turned to 5.05 then 5.15.. finally up and out and dressed by 5.30. Our checkout time was between 6 and 6.40, and we were through by 6.15. We were led outside to a massive queue that spanned up a slight hill. That was fun with our bags!! We were quite near the back, but were soon given carriage 12 and organised into rows of five. It was hot already and we were all sweating like crazy. CMT were advising us of protocol, we had 90seconds to get 25 people and bags through each door. Fun.
 
For me, the worst part was dragging our bags down the stairs to get to the station. And then carrying them up the stairs to get to the platforms. It was very amusing to say the least! Our train was at 7.37 and by 7.20 we were ready and waiting on the platform. Although we were 12, we were told to board at 11 and walk through the train.
 
The train arriving seemed very impressive, but I didn't really notice the speed or much else as was too busy attempting to bear hug my bag. I managed it and our plan worked very smoothly. The only issue was the walking through to the next carriage. It must have taken me at least half an hour to find a seat and organise my bag!
 
The journey was roughly 3hrs long so I ate my lunch, chatted to my neighbours, then went to sleep. We arrived in Hiroshima at 11.30, and yet people were shouting and scrambling around at 11. Quite frankly they were making a mountain out of a molehill, we all made it off with plenty of time to spare!!
 
Next, I boarded Car 2, an air conditioned coach. As one of the first on, I bagsied the back seats. Our Tour Guide was a lovely lady who told us the history of the atomic bombing as we drove towards the hypocentre.
Off of the coach we all met outside in the searing heat, ready for our tour. We visited the Hiroshima Peace Park where there were multiple shrines and memorials towards the 140,000 people that died from the bombing. It's horrible to think that those that went to heal or recover the original 70,000 victims, also died from exposure to radiation.
 
The most touching part was visiting the children's memorial, fundraised for by elementary students across the country. This is where paper cranes are donated, as a young girl suffering with leukaemia believed that folding 1,000 would make her wish come true.
 
Once the tour had finished we had some free time, so visited the museum. It was fascinating but there were so many of us I could barely read anything. I also made the mistake of watching a Japanese film, on a comfy seat. Yes, I fell asleep. I was reunited with Gemma at the water fountain, and then Mike saved me when I dropped my water bottle. As it had smashed completely (brilliant quality) he gave me his spare.
 
We still had a few hours until we had to be back so we walked towards the hypocentre and then on to a department store. Here we found a cafe and struggled our way through the menu. I had a waffle type pancake and finished off Gemma's chocolate cake. 
 
Back on the bus again. The scenery was amazing as we left the city and drove through the mountains. I slept again, along with everyone else on our coach. We had a toilet/food stop just after 6 and then were back on our way by 6.45.
 
Soon the site came into view, we were all very excited and eager to get off the coach. The first thought that came into my head was "wow, it's massive". I could only see roughly half of the camp by this point and could only imagine how incredible it will look and feel with 32,000 participants!!
 
First point of call was to check in, we had to queue up in alphabetical order - first names first. I then received my Jamboree ID card and food voucher and was sent through to a Safe from Harm checkpoint. It was beginning to get darker now and I was glad to join the tent queue. Finally, after queueing for about 40mins, I checked in (again) and was given hydration salts and a name tag. Apparently, although she hadn't been ticked off, Alix had the tent already. I headed over to "Cairn Gorm A"  on our massive subcamp, and on seeing no one in sight, walked back to fetch a tent.
 
I started to help a Scout put his tent up and we were soon joined by a few more, including Darren. Once his was up, we all did Darren and Lewis' double, but by the time it came to do mine, it was only me and Darren left!! I finally found some help and by about half eleven, the tent was up. I then dumped my stuff inside, fitted the inners, and went to find Alix. Turns out, we'd both put a tent up and had both put bits in. Just a small issue. CMT weren't very helpful, and just told us to sort in the morning. By this point, as it was nearly midnight, I just agreed. I was so tired, I just wanted to crash.
 
Finally, just past midnight I was in my pj's. Rumour had it there wasn't any roll mats (the ones we were supposedly being provided) so I just laid my sheet down and lay on top. About five minutes later, Alix came in and woke me up, roll mats had been found! I rushed over in my pj's and sweet talked them into giving me one. Now I could have a slightly more comfortable sleep!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stop 1: Bangkok

Loka: Stop 7: Magnetic Island

GKR World Cup 8

A Week in Exmouth