Day 2

What a day!!
 
I woke up around 7ish (so much for a lie in) to the sound of Gemma already in the shower. The sun was streaming through the windows and the city was already bustling with life. I then had a shower and we both dressed in our Disney tops ready for later. Around 9ish we headed down to meet the others for breakfast. I joined Darren, Mike, Emily and Phil in the Hapuna buffet. I filled up on plenty of fun and interesting foods. Who'd have thought pasta for brekkie was a thing?!
 
We then expertly (cough cough) navigated our way on the tube to the Tokyo SkyTree. At 634m it the tallest broadcasting tower  in the world. The CMT were very well organised and we were soon queuing to head up to the 350th floor. There was a very thorough security check that literally consisted of us opening our bags and a guard taking one glance inside. Wearing a necker gives great privileges. We then played sardines in a lift that travelled ridiculously fast.
 
The observation area wasn't quite what I was expecting, but offered panoramic views of Tokyo. Unfortunately, I don't really know any landmarks for the city, and most temples and shrines aren't very distinctive from above. However, it always still amazes how small and insignificant you feel from being so high and observing the tiny Lego buildings.
 
The others went up another level, but we decided to stay behind and visit the shop. Walking around we caught up with some other people we knew, and also found the kids' section.  Here, we watched and clapped and sang and danced and laughed along with the three mascots at their musical show. It was hilarious. There me and Gemma were, front row, leading the tiny Japanese children in the dancing.
 
It was now time to find our way to Disney (!!!) If only we could find the way down first... it was a nightmare, you'd think they never wanted you to leave. Eventually, myself, Gemma, Dom and Emily made our way out into the warm sticky mess.. and quickly across into the air conditioned tube station.
We had asked at reception in the morning how to get there but had got slightly confused as we were now travelling from elsewhere. However, I managed to get us the majority if the way there, failing at the last hurdle... we had to walk up and out and back on ourselves and down again to continue on our last line. Confusing.
 
It had now started to rain, but it was a welcome relief. We were only slightly concerned for our definitely not waterproof bags. Luckily, we were back on the train before long and only 5 stops from Disney! For once I couldn't fall asleep if I tried, I was so excited.
 
We made it to the station just after two, and practically ran to buy tickets. We ran to the wrong place, but we found a nice sign and the selfie stick was out. We then bought tickets from the right place and we were in!
 
It was still raining slightly and the floors were very slippy. Especially for me, in flip flops!! We decided that the day would be mainly about the parades, characters and shopping.
We hadn't managed any of the above when we were accosted by a group of South African Scouts. We were all excited and surprised to see each other there. They were more excited to know where we were from and how many of us there were. It seemed hard for them to grasp that there wasn't just four of us, and that several hundred more British scouts were in Tokyo. There was only 125 of them all together!
 
Slipping and sliding our way over to a bench, we watched a mini parade type dance off thing with some of the characters. We were told it was a Japanese tradition of sorts, not sure where being soaked by water pistols comes into that but hey. It was good fun and the rain had stopped.
 
We had a great time visiting Mickey's house, and meeting the man (mouse?) himself. I got a hug and a high five!! We also had a professional photo with the four of us that Dom bought. I have to say I did buy quite a few things too. There's something about Disney that makes it difficult for me to not buy everything and anything in sight! I did quite well, remembering that I still have a other 3 weeks here, and restrained from buying the beautiful cutlery and crockery sets. I did, however, buy a mascot for my day bag - Daisy Duck in a kimono!!
 
By the time we had raided most of the shops and collected our photo, it was almost time for another parade. The sky was growing darker and so the park was being lit up. It looked beautiful. We headed to a restaurant in Tomorrowland for dinner. I wasn't too hungry, full up on water probably, so had some french fries, I need the salt right?
 
The Dream Lights Parade was magical. I'm sure I heard that over 2million LEDs were used to create the floats, all of which were very impressive. I'll admit, I did feel myself drifting to sleep at one point but that's only because we'd sat down.
 
Once the last characters had moved on, we too decided it was time to move, and leave the park. On the platform home we met a couple who had also visited Disney. We whiled the time back to the hotel by discussing our many purchases and who/what we'd all seen.
 
As we have an early start tomorrow, followed by a train ride, a trip to Hiroshima, another train ride and arriving at camp, we were advised to buy breakfast/lunch today. Luckily, a few scouts stopped us before we reached the 7/11 near the hotel - as all of IST had attempted to buy their pack up there, they'd ran out!!! We found a different shop and I stocked up on pringles, kit kats and water... along with some food I wasn't too sure of. At least I know I'll like half of what I bought!
 
Back at the hotel I decided to pack all my things away, they seem to have spread well considering we've only been here since Thursday. Gemma then got an invite to visit Shibuya, and believe it or not, even though I'm old and it was past 10, I went along too!
 
We were supposed to be meeting at 10.45, but didn't leave the hotel until nearly 11pm. Luckily for me it was only a few stops away, so I was optimistic in making it back before midnight. Shibuya reminded me of Picaddily Circus and Times Square, lots of billboards and bright lights, and a very busy crossing too. We got a few selfies here, especially when we spotted another group of scouts we knew.
 
We left for the train at roughly 12.15am, way past my bedtime now. So much so that when some others suggested karaoke, I politely declined. We have a very early start and I'll need to be at least half awake to catch the bullet train!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stop 1: Bangkok

Loka: Stop 7: Magnetic Island

GKR World Cup 8

A Week in Exmouth