23rd World Scout Jamboree - Reflections

It's amazing how quickly reality hits when you return from a holiday. I'm no stranger to that melancholy feeling that accompanies unpacking your bag, wrapping up warmer or pouring over photographs to remind yourself that you HAVE been away. This time is no different.
 
My holidays are always something a little bit unusual... I like to feel like I'm doing something worthwhile with my time away, and "giving back". I can honestly say that I was part of something special at the Jamboree, a volunteer working to ensure that the 33,000+ participants had the time of their lives. WAGGGS have given me so many amazing opportunities over the years and I am proud to have represented them in my role.
 
How many people can say that they have lived and worked peacefully alongside people from all over the world? Made decisions and solved problems despite language barriers and cultural differences? We were reminded in a speech at the Closing Ceremony that we are the future, and we shape the future of our world. If 40,000 people can live in a Global Village; singing, playing and laughing together, why isn't this a reality in the "real world"?
 
Looking back over my posts for the last month I realised how many times I used "we". That's because we were all there together, all working towards a common goal. I know it's a cliché, but there is no "I" in "team". Being Guides, or Scouts, we are more aware of issues in the world, but most importantly we understand the importance of facing them together.
 
I know this post is not as light and fluffy as usual, but being a part of the Jamboree is to share my experiences and what I have learned. I met some amazing people and did some amazing things, but what's the use if I keep it all to myself..? I can only hope that there are Scouts and Guides all over the world now sharing what they learned, and thinking to the future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stop 1: Bangkok

Loka: Stop 7: Magnetic Island

GKR World Cup 8

A Week in Exmouth