Day 22 - Our Last Day

I woke up at exactly 5.26am, fantastic. I decided to make the most of it this morning though and trailed the floors for access to the roof. That wasn't possible, so I popped out onto the fire exit of the 13th floor. It was too cloudy to see the sunrise though, and I think the many high risers surrounding us would have ruined the view too.
 
It was useless trying to go back to sleep now, so I packed. I emptied my bag onto my bed and started from the beginning, trying not to wake Em. By the time her alarm went off at 6.30am, I only had my day sack to sort. Also found out we can have 23kg, not 20kg. I'm hoping I'll be well below.
 
I met the others for breakfast at 7.30am, we were put on the same table as last time, right near the bacon. I had much the same as yesterday, but also tried yoghurt and strawberry coulis and a peppermint tea. I was well set for the day now, and once we'd grabbed our things we were ready and out the door by 8.15am. It was raining, which made a nice change.
 
Our first port of call this morning was a fishy little plaice called Tsukiji. It was originally built by the Government as a market for the bulk buy of fish and other seafood. Naturally, as the largest fish market in the world, it's now a tourist destination. A very dangerous one at that, there were scooters, cars, lorries, mini fork lifts and people manoeuvring everywhere you looked. Add that to the buckets of water being tipped to clean and, of course, ridiculous amounts of fish, and it's quite an obstacle course to get through.
 
I have to admit, the fish creeped me out a bit. They were looking at me from all directions, their sunken eyes begging to be freed. I think the only way I managed to not throw up or freak out was to just pretend none of it was real... Not the two men dissecting tuna for all to see... Or the humungous fish head and skeleton in a box on the pathway... or the blood filled boxes. It was all fine and lovely.
 
When we'd worked out how to get out, it was straight back on to the tube and to Asakusa. I suggested that, instead of changing for one stop, we just walked the last stretch to the market. Sod's law, we went in the complete wrong direction and so had to hop back on the train to correct ourselves. Oops.
We'd said we would try to meet Darren and a few other Action Tour people at 10.15am at the station. We didn't make it until gone half past, oops again. I was fascinated by the temple, Sensō-ji. There is such a contrast between the old and the new here in Tokyo. It had never been more apparent to me than then, with the Pagoda and Shrine sitting with the Skytree in sight.
 
Now was time for a spot of souvenir shopping. I've completely forgotten what I'd bought on ISTokyo, but I know there wasn't much so I've gone slightly crazy. I love markets, and this one was full of the normal tat, but a few gems too. I am particularly proud of my bargain hunting skills, and my will power.
 
On the way around, we had all been separated, and I'd manage to find Fiona and Mike. Apparently the plan was to meet at the temple for 12.30 to go and find food. I found Darren first and we wandered around a bit before finding the others. I'd been around the whole market by this point, so thought I knew a nice café to eat.
 
Typically, it wasn't where I thought so we ended up in a small restaurant instead. There were no English menus available, and the waitress had limited English too. To make things easier, we had fun pointing at what we wanted in the window (they display plastic versions of their dishes there). I had spag bol, it was interesting, but definitely edible and it went down a treat.
 
People still had further shopping to do so we agreed to meet at 2.45, this time at the opposite end of the Shopping Street. I didn't have much left to get so mooched with Darren while he looked for a kimono. I got a bit bored waiting though so did pop off on my own. I had a lovely chat with a man in a small stall, and bought some lucky charms.
 
With all of our wallets/purses considerably lighter, we were back on the train to visit the Imperial Palace Gardens. The only thing that annoys me about Tokyo is it's sheer size, it's not the kind of city you can walk. However, it does mean I get to nap on the train every time. At least, I can if I get a seat/something to lean on.
 
Mike had purchased two replica samurai swords, that he was carrying with his Samburella. We all had a laugh at his expense when he was stopped by the security guard at the entrance. Turns out he was just curious, but it was a funny sight nevertheless.
 
The gardens themselves were a bit of a disappointment, most of it was just grass and pavement. We did meet some other Scouts though and Darren told some off for laying on the grass. Classic. Making our way out of a different exit, it did seem nicer than the way we'd come. There was a massive moat and a proper gate. Apparently, someone was arrested recently for swimming in the moat, why they'd want to though I'm not too sure.
 
I think we were all flagging a bit now and a few of them still needed to pack, so we walked to the station. We said goodbye to Darren as he went one way up the JR Line and we went the other. Our way back was far more complicated than I thought and had too many changes for me to nap.
 
I decided to visit the supermarket underneath our hotel for a snack or two, settling for cheese straws and a chocolate éclair. I enjoyed them in the lobby and started my research in finding another karaoke bar... maybe tonight would be the night! Me and Darren were proper up for it, and agreed to meet at 8pm to hunt one down.
 
In the meantime, I went out in search of the sunset. I rode up to the 13th floor again, but the closest I got was the reflection in the building opposite. On a mission now, I went for a walk out and about. I still didn't find the sun but I did get some cool pictures crossing over the train tracks. I had to go the long way back to the hotel as I'd managed to cross over the canal, and the railway and couldn't work out how!
 
I dragged Emily, Phil, Freya and Mike along with me and we found Darren at the station entrance as agreed. The Action guys have been split across two hotels, and neither are as nice as ours! We followed Darren through the Shinjuku area, seeing lots if posh shops and illuminated bars. I had a tiny map of where one karaoke place was so we aimed for there.
 
After about an hour of searching we gave up. I felt sorry for the others I'd dragged out. We made the most of being out and about on our last night in Tokyo and found a nice restaurant. I wasn't too hungry but did order a pizza and we had chips to share. Mike also ordered a long pink milkshake which was interesting.
 
About 10ish we settled the bill, harder than it sounds as you can't tip, and walked back to the station. Darren then went one way and we went the other for our last train journey here. I'm quite excited to come home now, even if just for a cuppa and a proper night sleep.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stop 1: Bangkok

Loka: Stop 7: Magnetic Island

GKR World Cup 8

A Week in Exmouth