Day 12

So my alarm went off bright and early, but with a lot less of the bright. As there was no sign of the sun rising immediately, I went back to sleep. I was restless though and kept waking every 5mins or so just in case I'd missed it.
 
Just gone 5am, Darren suggested we climb the hill to get a better view. Gemma was completely out of it so, after one attempt at waking her, we thought it best let her sleep! Why I agreed to climb a hill at that time of the morning I don't know, my calves were screaming once I'd reached the top.
 
We weren't the only ones that had risen before the sun. There were three other Brits up there and an American who'd been there since 3am!! We waited nearly half an hour but the sun finally started to appear and we were snap happy. The colours were beautiful and it was amazing to feel the heat already radiating off of it.
 
We went back down to find Gemma and go back to sleep. Finally, just after 7, we took our roll mats back to the tent and went for breakfast. I thought I'd try the cold macaroni cheese looking dish.. I wish I hadn't. I did have my usual salad though!
 
I still wasn't sure what to do with the rest of the day. I showered and was organising my tent when Darren suggested we go swimming. I was well up for that, even though it did mean getting changed again. We weren't 100% sure we were allowed in as the participants were there.
 
Following a sob story from Darren about our shift pattern as medics - I kept quiet -  a lovely lady let us in! The sea was colder than I thought, but so so refreshing. We had a right laugh rating the best sunburn and tan lines around. We had two sessions but then my fingers started to wrinkle so we thanked the wonderful people and took our leave.
 
I found a nice shower that wasn't being used as a mud bath by participants, it was an actual proper shower. Not a porta-shower! Once we were both clean and sorted we made our way back to the tents. I didn't want to stink my bag out with my swimwear.
 
It was so hot in the tent - I was going to do some washing but decided to go chill in the canteen by a fan instead. I have enough underwear to keep me going a few more days! We ate our lunch and I left Darren to have a nap in the cool. Emily was off too so I messaged her and we agreed to meet.
 
There's an Adult Friendship Award you can do in your "spare time" and Emily had been working on it. I wanted to go to the WAGGGS tent as a few ladies had said it worthwhile. They were closed until 14.30 so we decided to visit Culture, GDV and Science. We seemed to pick the wrong time completely, everyone was on their lunch. We hung around for a bit, went to visit the Americans and had a lovely nap in a hammock. I am slightly concerned that I was snoring but I'm not too fussed.. it was so comfy.
 
From there we went back to see the WAGGGS tent and the women in there couldn't have been nicer. When I told them we'd just done 'Free Being Me' at Brownies, she gave me loads of stickers. I also left with three badges, a woggle, some postcards and a leaflet for Pax Lodge.
 
I thought I'd try and complete the "Better World Tent" but 16 activities was slightly too many in the heat and I left. I managed five different activities, which wasn't too bad to be honest. It was dinner time and I was so hungry! 
 
I had a cold drink in the canteen as it wasn't open for food yet. I was just about to leave when I noticed Gemma and Emily in the corner. Emily treated me to an ice cream and then we queued back up for dinner. It was the special pork again, it's fast becoming my favourite. Me and Emily went to charge our phones. 
 
There was a party advertised earlier on behind the dome so went over to check it out. We were too early for the IST Polish Party but there was something funky going on in there anyway. There was an awesome African dance on when we walked in and I enjoyed a proper boogie. We clapped along to the other acts but none were quite as good.
 
Then, finally, the Jamboree Song!!! We were up straight away, I had the dance nailed. It was awesome. Maggie had joined us by this point too and it was me, her, Emily and Ben strutting our stuff! After that, everything seemed a bit rubbish so we went out to meet the others. Alistair and Jack joined us and then Dylan too. We all had a good natter and catch up and then went to see how this party was.
 
Me and Emily used this opportunity to fetch our phones, we were slightly dubious. We had a right to be, I imagine it would be a great rave if you were drunk? Maybe? I wouldn't know. We gave it ten minutes, a dance-off kicked off which was really impressive! The whole break-dancing, spinning around on the floor thing... I really wish I could dance like that. Don't think I have the guts to spin on my head though!
 
Back to the triangle of truth, we didn't learn an awful lot though. I think we were all far too tired for much more talking. Bedtime for me, I was actually quite cold so for the first time snuggled into my sleeping bag liner.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stop 1: Bangkok

Loka: Stop 7: Magnetic Island

GKR World Cup 8

A Week in Exmouth