Shrek the Musical

Tonight I went to Milton Keynes Theatre to see Shrek the Musical with my dear mother. 
 What a fantastic evening we had. I am a massive fan of the Shrek franchise and, unashamedly, can quote most of the first film! I wasn't too sure what to expect from a stage version, and was most pleasantly surprised.

Our seats were G3 and G4, as far back as they come.. literally in "The Gods". In all honesty, these were probably some of the better seats. We could admire the stunning sets and colourful costumes. Puppetry was used in the production to portray the dragon and Gingy. The dragon in particular was genius, she pranced and danced and flew all over the place!

The cast all did a sterling job, and the characters stayed true to the film. The mannerisms and asides from Donkey were perfect, and delivered with great comic timing. My personal favourite though was Gerard Carey, who played the saucy Lord Farquaad. He was the source of several innuendos and was just hilarious in general. What makes his performance even more commendable was the fact that he spent the whole time on his knees!

One thing I will definitely be doing in the near future is purchasing the soundtrack.. the songs were superb. I loved them all, especially Donkey's solo "Make a Move" - featuring the Three Blind Mice - and the ensemble "Freak Flag". The latter had a wonderful message that really resonated with me; 'what makes us special, makes us strong.'

Overall, I would highly recommend going to watch the show... The guys are currently touring, catch them while you can!


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stop 1: Bangkok

Loka: Stop 7: Magnetic Island

GKR World Cup 8

A Week in Exmouth